Skip to main content

Feast of Francis

 

            A title like this one for this inspirational reflection is about a non-Quaker as I could image.  When I was young, if you told me yesterday was the Feast of St. Francis, I would have responded with a blank stare.  It would have meant nothing to me.  In my tradition we did not have “feast days.”  And we never talked about saints, except maybe the authors of the New Testament.  I might have connected with St. John, the gospel writer, or St. Paul, the other New Testament guy!  But there were no Quaker saints.

            But then my education began.  God keeps putting into my life good Catholics and Episcopalians and the others who regularly use saints.  Gradually, the saints became known to me.  As I studied some about the monks of the early centuries, I encountered some weird, but holy women and men.  I studied enough Greek and Latin to learn that the word, “saint,” really means “holy.”  A saint was a holy person.  It does not mean he or she is god, but he or she routinely hangs out with God and somehow that influences him or her.

            I began to realize there really were Quaker saints.  We just never recognized them with that language.  Surely John Woolman, the famous 18th century American Quaker who was so instrumental in the anti-slavery movement, deserved to be seen as St. John, even if we never talked about him as such.  And surely, countless old Quaker ladies, as we called them, were saintly in their work and their ministry---often in unseen and quiet ways.  They will never be canonized, but they should be emulated.  They knew what hanging out with the Holy One meant.

            Yesterday was the Feast Day for St. Francis.  By now I know a fair amount about Francis and I like him.  Francis was a 13th century Italian who began his teenage years as the life of the party.  He loved having fun and had little interest in following his father as a merchant.  He went out with some of his fellows as a soldier and was promptly taken captive.  He mind turned to more serious things and the story of a saint begins.

            Francis felt called by God to rebuild an old, dilapidated church.  His father got mad at him for squandering so much money on a useless task.  So Francis repaid his father the loaned money and, then, set out on his own chosen lifetime of “evangelical poverty.”  Poverty became the hallmark of the Franciscans.

            The Franciscans, along with the Dominicans, were not actually monks.  Instead they were what were called mendicants.  Now I know if I used the word, “mendicant,” in my class, they students would have no clue what I meant.  A mendicant is literally a beggar.  But the beggar would be one that should not be seen as a panhandler.  The beggar is one who has committed to a life of evangelical poverty---following rather literally the model of Jesus.  Stay poor and be unattached to material things. 

            Of course, those of us with some means have to share with these mendicants---these Franciscans and the like.  But I am ok with this.  If they are committed to a life of holy poverty, I am more than willing to share what I have in order that they can share what they have, namely, their saintly presence.

            If they are hanging out with the Holy One, then I can join them on the edges of holiness.  I am not sure I have the call nor the will to become a mendicant.  To use poor English, I prefer to be a “haver” than a “beggar.”  I am not able to live without my possessions and my attachments.  I applaud the Franciscans and all those who can go all the way.  So far, I am a partway-spiritual person.  And I think God is ok with that.  Or it is a rationalization to make me feel better.

            Instead of poverty the way Francis talked about, Quakers traditionally have focused on what we call simplicity.  Simplicity seems less radical than poverty.  Simplicity seems doable, even though I am not doing too well.  Simplicity asks, “how much is enough?”  If you have more than enough, perhaps you have not chosen a simple life. 

            Francis is a kind of hero for me---a spiritual hero.  His life is both witness and challenge.  He is a witness to what is possible.  It is a life free from attachments and free for service in God’s world to God’s people.  My heart wants this.  But when I am honest, I realize my heart does not want it bad enough to hang out with the Holy One too much.  God knows what might be asked of me, if I did!

            So honestly I hang back as much, or more, than I hang out.  I appreciate the challenge of Francis because he keeps reappearing in my life urging me to walk the saints’ path.  I know I can’t do it with poverty.  So I try to live more simply.  If I can hang out more with St. Francis, then I likely am going to be drawn more deeply into the sphere of the Holy One.

            I’m not a saint.  But I am a beginner.  St. Francis’ Feast Day is now past.  But I am going to keep on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri