Skip to main content

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.  And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.  There are liberals and conservatives.  There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.  Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.  There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.  There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.  And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.
 
There are defining doctrines and religious practices.  Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan, which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.  Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.  Something like meditation would be a good example.  Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.  And other groups practice this spiritual discipline.
 
A favorite way I like to think about my own Quaker tradition that has some currency among other traditions is with the distinction between the inward journey and the outward pilgrimage.  This is certainly not unique to Quakers.  Quite a number of the different Christian traditions have their own version of this way of being spiritual.  It is also not uncommon in other religious traditions.
 
Since I believe it is a good way to understand the spiritual life, let’s take some time to detail what this dual focus means.  One direction of the focus is inward.  Personally this is the arena of experience, as my Quaker tradition talks about it.  The inward journey is the effort I put out in order to “meet” God somewhere in the internal spaces of my life.  Personally for me, this usually is felt in my midsection---in my belly.  Maybe it is because I live so much of my normal life in my head, I need spiritually to begin to drop from my head to my heart in order to experience the Holy One.
 
There deeper within my heart is the core place where I encounter the Other, whom I call God.  Thomas Kelly, perhaps my favorite Quaker writer opens his wonderful book, A Testament of Devotion, with words to this effect.  “Deep within us all there is an amazing inner sanctuary of the soul.”  My inward journey is the quest to discover this amazing inner sanctuary of the soul.  And if I have discovered it, then I want to connect with the One who gave me life and breathes the Spirit into my life.
 
Even if I am graced with this inward experience, I cannot hold it or capture it.  Even if it feels like a communion with the Living One, at some point the experience begins to recede and my normal life resumes.  Life cannot be lived inside at the altar.  However life can be lived “from” that altar.  And this anticipates the outward pilgrimage.
 
I like the language of pilgrimage for this outward focus.  Pilgrimage is more religiously specific than a journey or a trip.  I can take a trip to New York or to Tokyo, but it is not a pilgrimage.  A pilgrimage typically has a religious intent and, ultimately, religious content.  A pilgrimage is purposeful.  The destination normally is a religious destination.  But this does not mean the course of the pilgrimage is uneventful.
 
Indeed, for my Quaker tradition the outward pilgrimage is usually portrayed with an emphasis on religious action and service.  If the inward journey is about experience, then the outward pilgrimage is about express---expression of that inward spiritual experience.  The outward pilgrimage is the “outward living from the spiritual center.”  The pilgrimage is not just about destination; it is about day-to-day.
 
Although we have talked first about the inward journey and, then, the outward pilgrimage, they are not sequential.  Rather, they are simultaneous.  Experience is simultaneously expressed in the pilgrimage.  And the spiritual expression fuels more encounters at the amazing inner sanctuary of the soul.  Both exist in tension and intentionally.  They are the two halves of the spiritual whole person.
 
Periodically it is well to ask about our spiritual growth and development.  We can ask questions from either the journey or pilgrimage perspective.  But we do well to remember that one leads to questions about the other.  There may be seasons in which one---the journey or the pilgrimage---seems to be more important or in ascendency.  But over time the need to be in a healthy balance.

For many of us living “normal” lives in our little world, the outward part might be more often the focus.  We are trying to live a good life.  We are caring, fair, reasonable people.  We want to live a life helping others, avoiding as much sin as possible.  But we can be unaware or forgetful how important the inward journey is.  If we travel that inward journey road, our outward expression will become easier, deeper and more consistent.
 
Others of us think spirituality is just about the inner experience.  We are really adept at prayer, meditation, etc.  We may have a rich inner life.  But we may see no carry-over---no engagement in serving or saving our world in any way.  We are too content to see spirituality as an inner dynamic between ourselves and God.  This is insufficient.
 
The true spiritual life is a dual trip: inward journey and outward pilgrimage. 

Comments

  1. I really appreciate this article and the language of "inner journey and outer pilgrimage". Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So there should be a balance of the Holiness of our experience with God and flesh and blood, whether our own or with our fellowman. Not the forgeting of this "old man's" 'dream' but being a doer of it in the new man awake as a new creature.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t