Skip to main content

St. Louis Jesuits

 

            To young ears, the St. Louis Jesuits might sound like some boring theological group---a conference perhaps.  But with old ears like mine, just perhaps you recall a group of guys who sang contemporary music that was used in church services, but also gain momentum in many non-church venues.  They were one of the favorite groups of mine because of the lyrics they wrote and the melodic way they sang this kind of music.  Many of us in the 60s and 70s would have called it folk music.  I have not thought about the St. Louis Jesuits for a long time.

            And then I hit upon an article that headlined this group recently heading for their last concert after forty-five years.  I began reading the article by Jeannette Cooperman with relish.  The article opened with an interesting story.  Bob Dufford, priest, was awakened from a sound sleep to learn that on the morning of Bill Clinton’s first presidential inauguration, the groups’ song, “Be Not Afraid,” would be used.  I loved that song/hymn.

            Some of the words immediately came to mind.  “You shall cross the barren desert, but you shall not die of thirst.  You shall wander far in safety, though you do not know the way.”  The story continued to narrate how Dufford had struggled with the lyrics of the piece.  As Cooperman shares the story, we learn, “A fellow member of The St. Louis Jesuits, Jesuit Fr. John Foley, had said at one point, ‘I think this could be an important song.  But it's not you shall cross the desert, it's you shall cross the desert. For the melody's convenience, the emphasis was falling on the wrong word.”  As a lover of language, I appreciate this point.  Sometimes it does make a different which word to emphasize.

            The other point in this little story is originally desert had no modifier.  The song simply said, you shall cross the desert.  Certainly, there is nothing wrong with that.  It is clear; it makes sense.  But Dufford knew something else was needed.  He was on the prowl for a two syllable adjective!  He thought about “sandy” and “salty.”  I am glad he did not choose either one of those.  Then he landed on “barren.”  And it is amazing how much that adjective adds to the idea of a desert and to the hearing and singing of the hymn.  Powerful…

            We are told their first album appeared in 1974.  I learned so much more as I continued to read.  I was amazed to learn they have written 571 songs.  I liked learning about the history of the group.  They all appeared in St. Louis in the 70s for study toward ordination in the Jesuit order.  Vatican II was only a decade old.  That phenomenal Catholic gathering literally changed the Catholic Church that all of us knew---for Catholics and non-Catholics alike.  Even as a non-Catholic, Vatican II had a formative effect on me. 

            Vatican II dictated that Mass be said in the vernacular---English in my case.  And new songs were needed to fit the time of the 60s and 70s.  And so those priests-to-be set out to write contemporary, meaningful hymns.  I would say their music became a way to express the gospel and to do vocal ministry.  It was effective.  I still find it speaks to me.

            One of the things I like is to know how they combined the studies they were doing to be ordained with the desire to let this academic material become part of the message for the larger church.  They took ideas from theology classes and Bible classes and worked their magic.  They found a way to address their times.  Cooperman describes their effort and effect this way.  “There was gentle reassurance and compassion, exhilaration and joy, doubt and search, intimacy and humility and reverence — all of it set to melodies that were musically sophisticated, yet singable.”  That is still true for me today.

            We get a feel for this if we look at the fourth stanza of “Be Not Afraid.”  “If you pass through raging waters in the sea, you shall not drown.  If you walk amidst the burning flames, you shall not be harmed.”  When you think about life and all its ups and downs, this hymn offers the solace and encouragement not to get totally down.  Have hope.  A couple recurring stanzas articulate the hope.  “Be not afraid, I go before you always.  Come follow Me, and I shall give you rest.”

            I can hear the music for these words.  I am still touched and encouraged by their promise and the hope.  I am grateful for the St. Louis Jesuits for this gift that keeps on giving.  I could probably write something on a large number of their hymns.  I am sure I like it, in part, because of the music---the pace, tone, etc.  But I also like it for their theology.  No doubt, it works well because their theology is probably close to my own. 

            But I am most grateful for the ministry their music and words provide.  I am assured that I don’t have to be afraid.  At times in life, that seems unbelievable.  I am comforted knowing that God does go before us always.  I know my faith is tested at times, but my hope is their line does not lie.

            Thanks my Jesuit friends. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri