Skip to main content

Younger People, Spirituality and Religion

Since I teach in a university setting, I spend quite a bit of time with traditional college-age folks—18 to 22 years old.  I very much like being with them, listening to them and helping them, when I can.  I don’t even like to say I teach them.  I prefer saying I help them learn.  I don’t think this is a matter of semantics, as they say.  It is the truth of how I understand things.  I am not sure we can teach someone something unless they want to learn it.  Oh, they might memorize something short term or even act in compliance with an order.  But to learn something means making it my own.  And since I teach religion, this is especially true.

Sometimes students want me to give them the right answers so they can get an A on the test and in the course.  They are concerned with grades rather than learning.  Don’t hire someone like that!  They are not life-long learners and they will crumble in times of crisis and change.  You cannot memorize life!  Rather, I help them develop their curiosity and ability to ask questions and actually to listen.  I want them to think, not just memorize.  There is a difference.

With this in mind, I was quite interested in a recent article about Generation Z and spirituality.  While it did not offer me any new insights, it did confirm what I know.  It affects my own work and would be even more true if I were giving leadership to a local church or congregation.  And I wanted to share some of the insights here because readers of this are more likely to be older than the college students in my class.  In effect, this seems to be what’s true of our age and society, regardless of what you think is true.

To remind folks, Gen Z people are those born between 1995-2008.  Of course, it is somewhat arbitrary, but it is a helpful generalization.  For example, they can remember before the first iPhone (2007).  Generation Alpha (2008-present) cannot remember life without an iPhone.  The article I read by Josh Packard and Casper ter Kuile tells us like they see it: “Gen Z is keeping the faith. Just don’t expect to see them at worship.”  They open with a story about Sam, who is 18.  Sam identifies as Catholic, but as the authors say, “it partly defines him, it doesn’t limit him.”  Sam observes, “I regularly practice centering prayer and was involved in a centering prayer group, which wasn’t technically Catholic.”  He adds, “But through that, I discovered a lot of other kinds of spiritual traditions.”  That sounds like so many students in my classes.

The authors share some research from Springtide Research Institute which tells us 78% of young people ages 13-25 consider themselves “slightly spiritual.”  Not surprisingly, 60% of all young people who consider themselves agnostic, atheists or nones claim to be slightly spiritual.  But you are not going to see them at church!  They are not looking for the “ole time religion.”  This shows up in their weddings and other things like that.  These ceremonies are more likely to be eclectic.  That means they choose things from all sorts of places for their services: secular, many faith traditions, poetry, etc.

The next point the authors made caused to me to sit up and listen.  They tell us, “The caveat for anyone hoping to turn Gen Z into the generation that came back to church is that while today’s young people take what they find useful in faith traditions, this group has significant trust issues when it comes to formal religious institutions.”  I was bowled over when I read the next line.  “Asked to rate their trust of organized religion on a 10-point scale, 63% of young people answered 5 or below…”. So, half the young people don’t trust churches!

No doubt, this means if we want to relate to them, we start here.  We begin by building trust.  How many of us know how to do this?  If trust is the issue, beginning with answers or doctrine probably misses the boat.  They may have good reasons not to trust or lousy reasons, it does not matter.  If they don’t trust us, why they don’t is enough reason for them.  We have to reach out and connect where they are.  And of course, that depends on whether we actually care to do it!

I care.  I care enough, I am still teaching religion and spirituality in that age group.  For sure, I am not trying to drive them back to church---or the synagogue or mosque.  I am not even trying to lure them back.  In fact, many of them have never been there and left!  They have never been “there.”  To be flip, as a church member it is actually “here” for me---my place, my faith, etc.  But my “here” is their “there.”

So, what is my point?  I am very concerned with helping people make meaning in their lives.  I want folks to learn how to love and not hate, to make peace not cause conflict.  I am convinced at their best, this is what spirituality and religion do.  I am convinced humans do better with community.  It is a great antidote to loneliness and separateness.  Community is where trust abides and care flourishes.  

I dearly want it for Gen Z.  I do think it is more difficult to get this than it was in my younger days.  But I recognize it really is a generational issue.  I want to be careful in my assumptions and my arrogance.  I have so much to learn---and maybe to give.  But it likely is in that order.


https://www.ncronline.org/news/opinion/gen-z-keeping-faith-just-dont-expect-see-them-worship


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri