Skip to main content

Mapping the Spirit

I got the idea that it probably is possible to do a kind of mapping of our spiritual lives.  I then recalled a book on my shelf by James Fowler entitled, Stages of Faith, which he wrote at the end of the 1970s.  In some ways this is what Fowler does in that book.  I knew Fowler and appreciated his work, although I have not thought about it or used it for some time. 

In the process of thinking about this idea of mapping the spirit, I also learned there are a couple other ways people are doing work by this name.  One group of people understand that spirits inhabit certain places and demons occupy other places.  They choose to map the spirit, which is trying to identify those places which are spiritual in order that they may live in those places and cultivate those places.  And obviously, they would want to know the demonic places in order to avoid those places or to battle the demons in those places.  While this sounds like a fascinating area of study, I am not sure it is where I am at.  And it is not what I meant by this title.

The other area where I discovered folks doing what is often called mapping the spirit was in retreat settings.  Here the idea tends to be tied up with spiritual development.  Typical here is examining one’s own biographical time line.  You look for those periods in life where the Spirit was present in your awareness and your life.  This enables you to reflect on how the Spirit was active and how you responded that led to growth and development.  This reflection may be somewhat akin to what behind James Fowler work.

My own thinking was not as developed as these two arenas apparently are.  I like the idea of maps.  We have a fairly large wall in our house and we have two rather large maps on the wall.  One map is a map of the world and the other map is of the United States.  I frequently pass by these maps.  Often I stop and look at one or both of them.  I have been to most of the states, so when I look that the US map, I feel like I know places pretty well. 

So the US maps help me see the places I know.  I get a sense of their context and their relationships, even though I think I already know so much about them.  The maps help me understand and appreciate even more.  Maybe it is because I am a visual learner, but looking at a map---even at those places I have lived or just visited---helps me see better what I think I already know. 

And then there are those places I have never visited.  I have never been to Alaska nor Idaho.  The map tells me where those two states are, but I have no sense of being in those places.  The map helps me understand just how huge is Alaska.  And Idaho has a funny shape to it.  I know some cities in both states, but I have to stare at the map to figure out where they are.  It is as if I know about places, but the map actually tells me about places.

I thought about all of this as I ponder mapping the Spirit.  Theologically, I believe God’s Spirit is everywhere at all times.  Whatever preposition we want to use is ok.  At all times we are in, with, under, over the Spirit.  It sustains and supports us.  It nurtures and challenges us.  It pushes and pulls.  It is ever-active and, simultaneously, it waits patiently for us respond. 

But I am also cognizant that I am not always aware of the Spirit.  Theologically, it may always be there.  But realistically, I am not always aware of it.  That’s where the idea of mapping the Spirit seems attractive.  Whether it is by myself in reflection or with a spiritual friend telling my own spiritual story, I can recall and rehearse the times and places when and where I know the Spirit was present and active in my life.  If nothing else, I can relish and celebrate these times and places.

These times and places are like the states on the US map where I have lived or at least visited.  But I also know that I am not always aware of the Spirit’s presence and work in my life.  I also confess that I would appreciate being more aware of the Spirit more of the time.  I am not sure it is realistic to live in total awareness, but that’s probably the ultimate goal.

That is where mapping the Spirit comes into play.  If I can do this, it will reveal those times and places where I never or seldom experience the Spirit.  Just like the map on the wall, the Spirit map will show those places of “no Spirit” as clearly as those states where I have never visited show up on the map.  I can know right where those places and times are.  I realize I have my Idaho and Alaska times and places of the Spirit.

For example, I realize I am not likely to have any inkling of the Spirit when I am tired.  Maybe this is my Alaska Spirit place.  I know where it is, i.e. I know what it is like to be tired, but I am not aware of the Spirit in that place.  This will require some intentionality, just like I have to be intentional if I ever go to Alaska.  And to get to Alaska, I will have to go a different way than I ever have.  So it will apparently be if I am to become aware of the Spirit place when I am tired.

I am confident I can do it, but it will require a different approach.  This is something I will reflect on in another inspirational piece.
     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri