Skip to main content

On Top of Your Game…or Not

I wonder if Jesus or the Buddha or any other beloved religious figure ever had a bad day?  Maybe bad day is too strong.  Maybe occasionally they just were not on top of their game?  If they were really human---and I believe they were---I can imagine some days they may have felt like they just didn’t have it that day.  “It” is always an interesting concept.  I am always intrigued when coaches talk about certain athletes just have “it.”  Sometimes I know exactly what they are talking about.  I suspect most of us have felt like some days we have “it.”  And some days we don’t.
   
I am confident I have had “it” as an athlete.  There have been times when I was speaking that I felt like I had it.  It is easy to assume that Jesus always had it.  And particularly when Gautama became enlightened and was then known as the Buddha, surely he had it.  But I wonder.  I can’t believe they had “it” every waking moment and in every ministry/teaching situation. 
   
I know all too well there are days when I am in the classroom and just don’t have it.  That does not make me bad or ineffective.  But I know I am not my usual.  Usually I think I am fairly effective.  But some days I just don’t know.  I also know the difference between the days when I just don’t have it and that’s that.  And there are also days when I am confident I have it, but the students are not doing their part.  It is hard to be an effective teacher when the learner does not want to learn!
   
In terms of spirituality, I ponder what “it” is?  Certainly Jesus and the Buddha had it.  And no doubt other saints had it, too.  I don’t know anyone who thinks St. Francis lacked it.  Many of us even think Pope Francis also has it.  But I suppose it is always easy to be a little suspicious of any living human being.  I can imagine some days the Pope is not on top of his game.  When I feel that way, I don’t have to fear that I have lost “it.”  I simply can touch it some days or I can’t stay in touch with it.  It has not disappeared; it somehow is not available to me.  Maybe the Pope feels the say way?
   
Quakers would talk about “it” as the Light Within or the Inner Light.  This language comes from our theology which affirms that Jesus is indeed the Light of the world, as John’s Gospel declares in the first chapter.  For Quakers this is related to our faith that each of us is created in the image of God.  For sure this is not just a Quaker privilege; it is a human privilege.  Every human being exists in the image of God.  Some days we act in such a way that it is difficult to imagine that we are in the image of God.  Those days make it hard to be on top of your game.
   
One thing I have tried to learn and practice is to recognize some days I am not on top of my game.  I recognize that, accept it and try to do no harm.  It has not been easy.  Sometimes we grow up with a self-image that prefers to see ourselves as perfect---at least we are trying to be.  Perfectionists have a difficult time believing and accepting some days we are not on top of our game.  I suppose folks at the other end of the spectrum have a similar problem.  If I think I am not enough---never enough---then it is difficult to feel like you are on top of your game. 
   
I am not an athlete any more.  Spiritually speaking, my “game” is ministry.  When I am not on top of my game, that means my ministry is not effective.  In this sense my bad day means I try, but somehow my efforts are not effective.  This does not discount God’s grace.  I firmly believe the effectiveness of ministry is not solely dependent on human effort and savvy.  But quite a bit of ministerial effectiveness is dependent on human effort.
   
If I am tired, ministry suffers.  If I am not in touch with my Inner Light, I am operating out of some other kind of light---or even operating in the dark!  In the spiritual game, the agenda is not our agenda.  The agenda comes from the Spirit.  Sometimes I am not on top of my game because I have confused which agenda I am working on.  The key is to recognize when that happens, acknowledge it and try to get back in touch with the Light and the spiritual agenda.
   
There is no reason to become depressed or beat yourself up when you are not on top of your game.  You simply hit the spiritual reset button.  You spend a little time in prayer and listening.  You re-commit to the spiritual agenda which guides your life and action.  I also think community is important.  Communities support you---in all those days you are on top of your game and those when it is pretty clear you are not.  Part of my routine is to cultivate my community every day.  Communities support my theology and my ministry; I need those folks on my spiritual journey.
   
It is important to me to think about those times I am not on top of my game.  It helps me see I am not perfect.  Realistically, I cannot always be effective.  When I am not on top of my game it does not mean I have lost it!  Community is the crucible of support, nurture and encouragement---which is what I offer others, too, in community.
   
Finally, I am grateful for “it.”  That is God-given; that is a gift which I have the privilege of sharing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri