Skip to main content

Encouraging Growth

Often I am asked what I do.  It’s a fair question.  And I know there are very standard answers that I could give that would satisfy the question and end the conversation.  No doubt these standard answers are accurate.  For example, one part answer to the question, what do I do, is to answer by saying that I am a teacher.  If I want a puffed-up answer, I can say I am a college professor.  Usually this makes those of us who use this answer feel a little bigger---maybe even superior to “other teachers.”  No doubt, that is unfortunate.  I still am sure teaching kindergarten or the early grades---or even middle school---is much more difficult and energy-draining.  Compared to that, my job is a piece of cake!
   
If I simply say I am a college professor that answers the question and, probably, leaves all too many assumptions in the mind of the person who asked the question.  Such assumptions might be that I am really smart.  Only smart people can be college professors.  I am sufficiently bright enough to do the job, but not all college people are brains and, certainly, there are a ton of smart people who are not college professors.  Some smart people may not have even gone to college!
   
A much more distinctive answer I sometimes have used when asked the question, what do I do, is to say that I am in ministry.  And presently that ministry is a teaching ministry.  That is surely a good way for a Quaker to put it.  It gives me the chance to say that my primary calling is to ministry and, indeed, currently it is a teaching ministry.  I have done pastoral ministry and some hospital ministry. 
   
To me this is a good answer because it allows for a very broad range of answers.  And it suggests to other folks they might consider how what they do can be a form of ministry.  This is how Quakers liked to describe the calling that all humans receive from a God who wants to be involved in all sorts of ways of making a living.  This also resonates with the broader Protestant sense of God’s call and how call links to vocation (vocatio in Latin).  In terms of the original meaning of the word, vocation, it would indicate a “calling.”  Obviously, that meaning has changed when we use it in our secular world.  When we talk about “vocational schools,” we mean something quite different than what Luther and other sixteenth century Reformers meant.
   
So I am a college professor and I do have a sense of being involved in a teaching ministry.  Both are true and ones I have used for a long time.  They are sufficiently descriptive and typically satisfy the question about what I do.  However, I wonder if they are merely answers to a question that should be posed in a different way.  Specifically, the real question probably is not what I do.  The real question is what is the result of what I do.  If I am a professor or one involved in ministry, what is the effect---result---of my work? 
   
To ask the question in this way shifts the focus.  It shifts the focus from me to the other---the student and learner.  This is a good shift, because if a student does not learn, I have not been a professor.  And if the learner does not experience being served, then I am not really involved in ministry.  Doing should not be separated from results.
   
So the answer I like to give to the question, what do I do, is to say that I encourage growth.  Of course, this is a general answer.  But I think it needs to be general.  Sometimes growth is the acquisition of knowledge.  Just as often, the kind of desired growth is emotional and or spiritual.  In fact, I think a good deal of what I do is help students grow up!  We all have a sense of what emotional maturity looks like.  And most of us can be honest and admit that a high school education was not sufficient to make us emotionally mature.
   
I would argue the same thing is true for spiritual maturity.  Actually, it might be hard for a group of folks to agree on what spiritual maturity would look like.  Let me offer my own take on that.  A spiritually mature person is a person who knows his or her deeper self---what Merton meant by the true self.  And mature people live from that deeper center.  This gives the mature one the ability to be humble, confident and open.  She is not threatened by diversity.  He is capable of wide-spread care of all sorts of folks.
   
And an emotionally and spiritually mature person is a cultivator of community.  She normally can transform chaos into something a bit more creative.  He is one who knows how to dispense grace in such a way that peace is more possible.  And she can mediate mercy so that continued hurting is minimized. 
   
Growing up is not automatic and certainly not guaranteed.  To manage this kind of growth usually requires some mentoring and modelling.  That is what I hope to be able to do.  To do it effectively means that we also need to be on our own journey of growing up.  That’s why I still need my models and mentors.  They can be classic figures, like Jesus and the Buddha.  They might be college professors.  They certainly are all sages of the Spirit.  And they are willing to share their wisdom.
   
That is what I am trying to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri