Skip to main content

Some Thoughts From a Friend

Recently, I had occasion to speak to a group of people who had asked me to talk about Thomas Merton, the monk from last century whom I very much like.  I don’t like Merton because he and I were friends.  I never met him.  I was still in school when he died in 1968 on a speaking engagement in Bangkok, Thailand.  His death was a shock, since he was only 58 years old.  I remember reading about his untimely death, but I had not read too much of him yet, so I was not unduly affected.

It was in the 80s that I began to read fairly extensively in Merton and other writers on spirituality.  The non-Catholic world was discovering that way of talking about religious experience.  As a Quaker, I had always known experience is key.  For us theology also is important, but theology follows experience.  For sure, one can talk about theology without believing any of it.  It is quite possible for an atheist to be a theological expert.  He or she, however, won’t believe any of it is true.

The group had asked me to speak about contemplative spirituality.  Some of them know I teach a class with that title, so I was happy to oblige.  It is easy to do that for Merton.  The Trappist monastery in which he lived was known as a contemplative monastery.  All the monks who signed on to live there knew they were aiming to be contemplatives---whatever that means.  And that is the point of my invitation: to help the group understand what contemplative spirituality means---at least, according to Merton.

However, I added a Quaker touch.  Trappist monks are not the only contemplatives in the world.  In fact, there are contemplatives who are not even Christian.  I knew there was a contemplative strain among Quakers, although I did not hear that word, contemplative, as I was growing up.  That means we used different language to talk about a similar experience.  So I chose Douglas Steere to illustrate contemplative spirituality from the Quaker perspective.

It was an easy choice for two reasons.  In the first place I was aware that Douglas and his wife, Dorothy, had met Merton on more than one occasion.  They certainly were not best buddies, but they knew and appreciated each other.  I knew the Steeres had visited Merton at his monastery, Gethsemani.  And the second reason I chose Douglas Steere was because I also knew him and Dorothy.

Douglas had read widely in the Catholic mystics and other spiritual writers.  He had spent a little time in a Benedictine monastery in Germany during the ‘30s.  So Douglas and Merton could connect at a fairly deep level and have a conversation from that level.  So let me share a little of what Douglas Steere has to say about the contemplative life.

In one of my favorite essays of Steeres, he describes contemplation in this fashion.  “We, too, might find some help in defining contemplation if we put it in terms of a sustained scrutiny for meaning.  If we use the metaphor of the eye, contemplation could be described as the power to look steadily, continuously, calmly, attentively, and searchingly at something.  Thomas Aquinas paraphrases this nicely in calling contemplation, ‘A simple, unimpeded and penetrating gaze on truth.’” 

There is a great deal of material here, but it makes a lot of sense if we unpack it and look with some care at the details.  I confess I like the phrase, sustained scrutiny for meaning, that Steere chooses at the outset.  It squares nicely with my sense that spirituality really is a search for meaning---but a search that typically involves God or the Holy.  Steere is correct that it is a sustained scrutiny.  One does not become a contemplative on the way to the grocery store or, even, in a weekend.  It takes time and scrutiny.  To become a contemplative takes time and effort.  The word, scrutiny, suggests is takes some effort.  

Douglas Steere then borrows the metaphor of the eye.  A contemplative is one who comes to “see.”  He or she sees the truth and finds meaning for life.  But it again takes time and effort.  A contemplative learns to look at life and the experiences in order to come to this truth and meaning.  Then I urge you to notice the five adverbs Steere employs to describe this coming-to-look.  The adverbs are steadily, continuously, calmly, attentively and searchingly.  We could write a page on each of the five adverbs.

I urge you to take a little time and ponder each one and, then, apply it to yourself as you might imagine become contemplative.  The five suggest a focused, not haphazard way of seeing life and finding meaning.  It is ordered, but open.  There is a kind of paradoxical now I’ve got it-now I don’t quality to being contemplative.  Because it is a process---or nothing more than life---even if you have it today, you won’t necessarily have it tomorrow.

The contemplative journey is a story of the human quest for God over time and in depth.  I have begun the journey, as Thomas Merton and Douglas Steere did.  I appreciate some thoughts from a friend---actually two friends---to help me on the way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri