Skip to main content

Salvation of the Human World

I was recently reading and ran across the name of Vaclav Havel and some of his writings.  Young folks today would not know about him.  Even I have to recognize it has been a long time since he was a factor in the news.  I was surprised, however, to learn that he died in 2011.  I thought it was longer ago.  I remember being impressed with him---both as a writer and as a politician/leader. 
   
He first came on the scene in my mind when I read about his involvement in the anti-communist movement in the 1970s and 80s.  He served multiple stints in prison because of his opposition.  In my mind he was a principled person who was standing up for the rights of his fellow citizens.  He played a key role in what was called the “Velvet Revolution,” which toppled Communism in 1989.  He then served as President of Czechoslovakia.  After Slovakia left the alliance with the Czech Republic, Havel served as President of that Republic.
   
I share this background in order that we might understand the one-line quotation that jumped out to me in my reading.  Havel says, “the salvation of this human world lies nowhere else than in the human heart, in the human power to reflect, in human meekness and in human responsibility.”  I do think Havel was very interested in the salvation of this human world.  It is easy to miss his point.  No doubt, many people are attracted to the idea of salvation.  In fact, I suspect this would have been the key to religion as I think about the religious upbringing in my family.  Most of the people with whom I associated would have claimed they were “saved” or, at least, hoped they were.  In my own mind being saved was the ticket to heaven.
   
While I don’t need to underestimate the importance of that point, I do find agreement with Havel’s concern to save this human world.  Although he is now deceased, I think he would agree with my concern for the impersonalization that can be seen in so much of life.  Of course, it is easy to blame technology for all of this.  People interact (usually passively) with their phone, impervious to a neighbor sitting in the next chair.  There is no interaction---no contact between two living beings.  Oddly, they may even complain about being lonely!
   
Havel helps me think about salvation of this human world.  He assures us this salvation is found nowhere else than in the human heart.  That seems so true…so obviously true.  It reminds me of the discovery so many of the college students I teach.  They discover they are quite smart enough.  Intellectually, they have it made.  They know a great deal of stuff and they know how to learn.  They are good with technology and will only get better.  That is seldom a problem.
   
The problem, they discover, is a heart problem.  For example, knowledge comes easily.  It is something like love that baffles.  Their hearts ache for more.  Salvation of this human world will happen in the heart more than in the brain.  It will be packaged with love and delivered with justice more than a pay check and status.  Salvation work for humans is nothing more than heart-work.
   
Havel offers a few clues.  He suggests salvation is linked to the human power to reflect.  I value this ability and know how crucial it is for a contemplative way of living.  It is key for a life lived with meaning and purpose.  Reflection is not normal for most folks.  Too often, we are too busy, too bored, or too distracted to reflect.  All of our technological toys eat up the time we might otherwise use to reflect.  Reflection is time taken to think about what happened, why it happened and what I might learn from what happened.  Reflection leads to depth in life.
   
The second thing Havel points to is necessary for salvation is meekness.  Meekness is a tricky word.  It can mean submissive or passive.  I am confident this is not what Havel means.  I suspect he thinks more about meekness as humility.  I know I am concerned with arrogance and egocentric behavior.  Those qualities will not bring salvation to this human world.  I know Havel had a concern with rampant consumerism.  Meek folks do not have this issue.  Meekness points to his last point, namely, human responsibility.
   
No doubt, responsibility is important to me because I spend so much time with students on this issue.  In fact, one of the things I tell them is part of my job is helping them become responsible.  We live in a world where folks are so quick to claim their rights.  Of course, I do believe in human rights.  But this can be taken to the extreme---and often is.  There are places in the world---even in this country---where human rights are a real, serious issue.  But in my little world and the world of most of the folks with whom I associate, our human rights are not at stake.
   
Rather, the danger we pose to the world is being irresponsible.  But we never see it that way.  Because I am so well off, I have responsibilities to the world.  This begins to get at what saving this human world means.  I have responsibilities to share and to care.  Caring and sharing are not usually knowledge words.  They are human heart words---usually links to action rather than mere thought.
   
Spending time acting out this kind of heart-life will be my share in saving this human world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri