Skip to main content

I Have Found Happiness

George H.W. Bush recently died.  He was 94, so it is not a surprise.  In fact, most of us will be surprised if we live that long.  And he certainly was a distinguished public figure.  Like so many politicians, he was a mixed bag for many people.  But there is no doubt, he was always respected as a human being.  He served his country during WW II, so there was never a question about a commitment to service.  Even for those who would have disagreed with him politically, there was no question about his character or commitments to the country and its welfare.
   
He was a man of wealth.  Obviously, that gave him advantages which most humans are never afforded.  He managed to combine a couple key geographical parts of the country---New England and Texas---and take advantage of both.  In spite of his wealth, he was “homey” in a way.  He was a baseball guy.  Oddly enough, he served a Vice-President twice as long as President.  During the two terms of Reagan’s presidency, Bush was his Vice-President.  He won his own presidential election in 1989 and served one term until he faced Clinton in 1993.  Clinton won that election and so Bush is often talked about as the most successful one-term president ever. 
   
There is much to write about when it comes to Bush, but I am not too interested in a spirituality reflection on all the politics.  If it were just politics, I would not be dealing with Bush in this reflective piece.  However, there was one thing that emerged that caught my attention.  I think I remember the letter he sent to one of his grandkids, granddaughter Jenna Hager Bush.  But maybe I just think I did.  My memory does not matter.  The content of the letter is what touched me as I read it (again).  That deserves wide exposure for our own times.  The letter is more than two decades old, but its message is pertinent in our own day.
   
Bush begins his message to Jenna with these words.  “I believe I was right when I said, as president, there can be no definition of a successful life that does not include service to others.”  This resonates with me as true.  In fact, I end many of my classes with the theme of service.  We live in an age which tends to nurture individualism, but that can lead to loneliness.  We are more technologically savvy than we have ever been, but that can lead to selfishness.  We usually don’t see ourselves this way, but certainly most of us have self-interest in our core.
   
And there is nothing wrong with self-interest.  If we have no interest in ourselves, it is going to be hard to love ourselves.  And without self-love, we will botch our attempts to love others.  We likely will be loving others for the wrong reason.  Or we will love them wrongly for the right reason.  We need both self-love and love of others.  Without this kind of love, authentic service probably never will happen. 
   
I like how Bush declares that we cannot have a successful life without serving others.  Of course, he does not think we should neglect ourselves.  But we should not simply be focused on ourselves.  Service is a great way to transcend ourselves and put someone else at the center.  Or we might even put something at the center of our attention---something like the environment.  Service can cure loneliness and it obviates our tendency to become selfish.  Service is a wonderful way to show love toward another. 
   
Bush continues his line of thought on service.  He tells Jenna and us, “So I do that now, and I gain happiness.”  I have to smile at this line.  Every undergraduate I know will tell you they want to be happy.  I suppose most sane women and men want to be happy.  I know I do.  But I agree with the old philosopher, Aristotle, who said happiness is a by-product of other things.  For him that was practicing the virtues.  And in a way, service is a way to practice virtues. 
   
Bush told Jenna, “I do not seek a Pulitzer Prize.  I do not want press attention.”  Of course, he was famous.  He did not need a Pulitzer for his own ego needs.  And certainly, he had his fair share of press attention.  He has more than enough.  Note this next sentence of Bush, which says he has enough things.  “I don’t crave sitting at the head table or winning one of the many coveted awards offered by the many organizations across the land.”  Probably only happiness ultimately comes to those who are content with what they have---it is enough.
   
I end with these two simple sentences from that letter to a granddaughter.  Bush says, “I have found happiness.”  Four simple words, but a phenomenal claim: I have found happiness.  I want to share this with all my students…and with everyone else I know.  Having found happiness enables Bush to conclude, “I no longer pursue it, for it is mine.” 
   
It is easy to be cynical.  It is easy for a guy who is very wealthy, has been an American president and managed to live nearly a century to be happy.  In this case cynicism is a form of jealousy or hate.  It is jealousy because I want what he has: to be happy.  And hate that he had it and I am not sure I will get it.  Jealousy and hate serve no good end. 
   
Bush already told Jenna and us how to be happy.  Serve.  Get beyond yourself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri