Skip to main content

A Living Experience

I have been re-reading some of Thomas Merton for an upcoming speaking engagement.  I always find Merton to be thought provoking and quotable, even though he died in 1968.  I always find the irony to be too much that a guy who took vows to live in a contemplative, rigorous monastery in the middle of Kentucky still has a tremendous relevancy to folks in the twenty-first century.  I think the reason is Merton was so human.

It is easy to assume that someone who runs off to a monastery cannot be normal.  And living in a monastery should be a guarantee that you never will be normal!  I know I had that assumption.  But when you meet monks, as I have done countless times, you usually come away thinking that those monkish guys or gals are actually pretty normal.  What they are doing living the monastic life is not the run-of-the-mill kind of job.  But when I think about it, guys and gals who drive racecars for a living or who are astronauts are not living normally as most of my friends. 

I love coming away from a reading of Merton and think to myself, wow, that guy is so human.  Virtually all of the things he writes about have to be with being human and being human in the most meaningful way you can do it.  For him being human inevitably leads to God.  Of course, this is not true for everyone.  It is true for me and that draws me to read further to see how Merton connects being human and relating to God.  He still instructs me.

Another thing I like about Merton is how he grew and changed over the course of his life.  As he followed his quest and asked questions, he was drawn into new experiences.  Those new experiences gave him new ways of thinking about himself, about his world and about God.  The same thing has happened to me.  At one level, I am still the kid who grew up on an Indiana dairy farm.  But I also am the guy who studied at one of the finest universities in the land---far away from Indiana.  And I lived in Germany and England and traveled so much more.  

Through the course of this, I have met so many people who are very different than I am.  Many of those come from faith traditions that once were completely foreign to me.  I have met Jews, Hindus and Buddhists.  I have dined with Sikhs and talked with Jains.  Every one of those encounters has put me into some tension with my own Christian beliefs.  I did not feel threatened.  But I did realize I needed an understanding of my own faith that could account for difference.  I needed a way to continue to relate to God, but understand Muslims and Hindus related to God in some different ways.

As I talk about this kind of interaction, I realized I was drawn into the world of interfaith dialogue, as it is called.  Merton experienced the same kind of pilgrimage into other faith traditions.  At first it was accidental, mostly because when you live in New York City, you encounter significant difference in people and cultures.  Later, Merton became quite intentional about interacting with other faith traditions.  He began to read widely and to make friends with folks of different faiths.

In the ‘60s, Merton’s writings reflect the impact other faith traditions had on his faith and life.  One of my favorite books of his has the intriguing title, Zen and the Birds of Appetite.  I pulled this one off the shelf and began reading the underlining from earlier reads.  When I do this, I find the re-read nearly as fresh and the first time I plunged into the text.  It was revelatory.

The second chapter of that book is entitled, “A Christian Looks at Zen.”  Merton offers a critique that resonates with my Quaker soul.  He talks about Catholicism, but it fits Christianity as a whole.  Merton says, “This obsession with doctrinal formulas, juridical order and ritual exactitude has often made people forget that the heart of Catholicism, too, is a living experience of unity in Christ which far transcends all conceptual formulations.” (39)  The heart of Christianity is a living experience.  That is foundational to my faith.

Religion is not a bunch of doctrines, rituals and laws.  Religion---or spirituality for me---is about experiencing God.  I tell students that atheists can have views or ideas about God.  Atheists can understand doctrine.  But atheists do not have a living experience of God.  For me it starts with experience and then moves toward explanation---theology or doctrine.

With this as my starting point, I can engage the Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim or other, as Merton did, and ask about their experience.  This is precisely what Merton does.  And he does this in an open way.  In effect, he asks them to talk about their experience.  What is your living experience, he queries them.  And a good question like this one enables you to sit back, open your ears and listen.

To hear someone talk about their living experience is an invitation to join them on their holy ground.  I feel like taking off my shoes.  It is a humbling, gratifying gift to be invited into a discussion of one’s living experience of God.  I can only say thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri