Skip to main content

Call to Serve

I read a recent speech by Pope Francis with which I agreed.  It focused on an important issue, not only for folks identified as Christians, as well as other major religious traditions, but for all humans.  While the speech was primarily aimed at clergy and other religious leaders, I think it applies much more broadly.  It certainly has broader application within my own Quaker tradition than merely the folks in leadership roles.
   
The article opened with this sentence.  “For every Christian, but especially for those called to ministry, God's gift of life is a call to serve others, Pope Francis said at a memorial Mass for bishops and cardinals who have died in the past year.”  I like the fact that the Pope recognizes this is actually for all Christians---recognizing I would broaden it even further.  The real focus of the papal thinking is “God’s gift of life.”  Everyone one of us right now can be aware of and thankful for that gift.  It is challenging and reassuring to think about ourselves possessing a gift---a gift of life.
   
None of us decided to be born and become human.  Almost none of us has memories early enough to take us right to the very beginning.  Clearly I don’t recall the very moment the sperm invade a fertilized egg and became me!  I became one who was gifted with life.  I was thereby precious and beautiful.  The question would be: what will I do with this gift of life that I uniquely have?  Now the answer to that question is pretty complete.  I have lived quite a few decades and the story is mostly written. 
   
The other half of the papal statement is equally profound.  God’s gift of life is a “call to serve others.”  Once more, I claim this is not just a priestly or monastic privilege.  It is a privilege and a commitment every human being should exercise.  Part of the job description of being human is to serve.  Part of my life should be seeking to find those folks and those situations that by service I can make better.  Clearly, I am not the savior.  But I am called to serve and sometimes that might actually be a tiny bit of salvation for someone. 
   
The Pope is then quoted as he spoke in St. Peter Basilica in Rome.  Francis says, "The meaning of life is found in our response to God's offer of love.  And that response is made up of true love, self-giving and service."  Again, I love his sentiments.  I appreciate the Pope offers such a clear way to perceive the meaning of life.  I deal with this question a great deal as I teach undergraduates.  Part of my job is to help them think about life and figure out how their lives will be meaningful.  This papal advice is not a bad place to start. 
   
Francis’ take on life’s meaning is located in our response to God’s offer of love.  How Francis puts this is deliberate and careful.  He does not say life’s meaning is located in God’s love.  While I would still agree with that, I like the papal precision.  It allows for some theological nuance.  Let me explain.
   
Francis talks about our response to God’s offer of love.  I add the italics.  God’s love is offered to us, but we might say “no” or “not yet.”  The way I understand God and how God works suggests that God does not ram things down our throats.  God offers, lures and invites.  God does not force, manipulate or coerce.  God regularly and routinely offers love.  Our choice based in our free will is to respond to this divine love or to say no.  Obviously God wants us to respond.  And I think we should want to respond.  It will make a big difference in our lives. 
   
One of the predictable responses to God’s love is our desire to serve.  We will seek out people and opportunities to serve as an expression of our being instruments of God’s love.  We will become the hands and feet of this divine love.  While I don’t always focus on my own death or when life is over, I appreciate Pope Francis’ words when he assures, "Whatever will remain of life, at the threshold of eternity, is not what we gained but what we gave away."  I think he is claiming that a key component of responding to God’s love is to keep doing it.  Keep serving.  Continue to embody that divine love so that we can keep spending that love in service to each other.  We are not doing it for a reward, but because it is the loving thing to do.
   
At the threshold of eternity---that is, at our death---we can judge a good life and worthy life by what we gave, not what we received, possessed and kept for ourselves.  We were designed to be givers, not takers.  This is hard to hear when we operate from self-interest or selfishness.  If we are ego-centric, it is difficult to think of others and be other-centric.  That is what love asks us to do.  Narcissistic love cannot do this, since it is the kind of love that is selfishly driven.  God’s love asks us to respond in service.
   
Jesus and others model what this looks like.  Robert Greenleaf coined the contemporary leadership style that befits this model of service---he calls it servant-leadership.  Again, we don’t do this for a reward, but it can be rewarding.  Service is a wonderful way again to have a meaningful life.  And paradoxically, service can be a two-way street.  Our aim is to serve, but sometimes service comes our way.  Someone might wash my feet.  Someone may go the extra mile with me.
   
The call to serve is a call to action.  Just do it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri