Skip to main content

Power of God’s Love

I very much like to read autobiographies.  I like hearing people talk about their own life stories.  Recently a friend shared with me a chapter in a book.  The chapter is written by Ilio Delio, the Franciscan sister who has written much on evolution and theology that I have enjoyed reading.  I have not met her, although I have read quite a bit by her.  So I was eager to get a sense for how she developed as a person and a theologian.
   
She begins the chapter in this fashion.  “In 1984 I completed a dissertation in pharmacology at New Jersey Medical School.  My research was in the area of motoneuron neuropathy and I worked on an experimental drug to mimic the pathological neuronal damage found in Lou Gehrig’s disease…”  As one who does not know that much science, I am awed and supportive of all the findings scientists discover.  Delio claims she was a hardcore scientist who felt that the path to truth could only be found in science.”
   
But this is not all.  I was intrigued by another sentence in her autobiographical account.  Even though she was very satisfied with the life of science which she had carved out for herself and which promised to be lucrative, she recognizes that “something more seem to be at the heart of it all…”  She continues, “I felt there was an elusive quality of nature which lead me to write the first page of my doctoral dissertation.”  That sentence reads, “In the simplest cell of life lies the mystery of creation.”  It was this “mystery of creation” that was going to turn out to be a God calling on her life in ways she still finds amazing.
   
She grew up Catholic.  Humorously, she said she developed two brains: “a science brain and a religious brain.”  After finishing her doctoral degree, she accepted a post-doctoral fellowship to continue her studies in science.  Even so, she acknowledges, “I felt there was a deep inner draw to God that could not be satisfied by scientific research.”  And of course, here comes Thomas Merton, my favorite monk.  Someone gave Delio a recent biography of Merton and she was hooked!

Merton so affected her, and soon she said, “I took a slight detour and entered a Byzantine Rite monastery of discalced (shoeless) Carmelite nuns in Pennsylvania.”  She realized she could not explain it to her science colleagues, as she turned down the postdoc fellowship to become a nun.  She admits, “I could neither explain God nor adequately describe the power of a religious call to a celibate life.  All I could say was that the power of God was such that to deny God would have been to deny my very self.”  I am moved to read these words.  I know if folks don’t have a sense for God, her decision and life seems absurd.
   
For sure God was moving in her.  She had a call, but it was not perfect.  Delio’s own words capture this.  She tells us, “Despite the rhythmic harmony of monastic life, however, I felt something was askew.”  She liked much that monastic life offered.  But she felt like true disciples of Jesus probably would not be called to live separately from the world.  She acknowledged, “This unresolved spiritual struggle created a great interior conflict for me…”  So after four years with the Carmelite nuns, she took a leave of absence and chose to live with “a community of German Franciscans sisters in New Jersey…” 

She liked the Franciscans.  And she quipped, soon the sisters sent her to Fordham to study theology.  The rest is history.  She now teaches theology and incorporates her scientific knowledge into the theology she is writing.  It is clear the power of God is known to her specifically as the power to love and the power of being loved.  This kind of theology I find very attractive.  And I appreciate her ability to articulate it in ways I cannot since I have not been trained scientifically, as she has been.

She spends most of the latter part of the autobiographical chapter reflecting on her current life and work.  I find this compelling.  For example, she observes, “If the power of divine love is source and goal of all that is, then knowledge alone cannot bring us to our ultimate meaning and fulfillment, only the fidelity of love.  God is eternally becoming other in love unto love.”  While it would take a long time to unpack these two sentences, they do seem deeply true.  She ties ultimate meaning and fulfillment to love.  And she is clear that God is love.  God’s work is love and that love has power. 
   
I sincerely believe this and trust it is true.  Certainly, we know and see the power of hate in our world.  If love is not equally or more powerful than hate, then we probably are doomed as a human race.  The chapter brings together science and religion in an attractive way.  Delio says, “Science discloses the power of nature to orient itself toward relationships and complexity but it cannot define or constrain the power of transcending love.” 
   
She then affirms with the sureness of knowing God that “There is an absolute wholeness of truth and beauty that lies at the center of even a single cell.”  I love it when she informs us, “I went in search of this powerful lure and I discovered a God who is hidden and humble…”  Such is the power of God’s love.


Delio, “The Entangled God of My Heart”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri