Skip to main content

Growing People

I am not quite sure what caught my eye as I was trolling though my Twittter account.  Perhaps it was the title: “Growing People: A Vital Imperative for Organizations.  I did not know the author, Julia Daley.  Her short bio describes her as a leadership coach and mentor.  She is an educator and speaker.  I smiled because that could be my bio, too.  It is fairly general, but I decided to read the article and am glad I did. 
   
I am interested in growing in my own way.  I want to grow spiritually, intellectually and emotionally.  And I have spent a great deal of my adult life helping other folks grow.  Sometimes it has been students and sometimes it has been members of a congregation I was serving.  I think I know quite a bit about what this means, so I was intrigued what the article might tell me that I didn’t already know.  I was pleasantly surprised. 
   
The first paragraph posed an important question.  We were asked to think about where we work or an organization of which we are a part.  The focused question was, “do you feel you matter, that you’re valued, that you’re seen as someone…vital to the group?”  Obviously this is a question of perception.  I might perceive that I don’t feel valued and others in the group would be surprised because they claim they value me highly.  But the perception is key.  And how I feel bodes significantly to how I perform in the group or organization.  That is why it is important.
   
I realize this is true not only for businesses and teams---such as athletic teams.  It is also important in non-profit organizations and even in churches, synagogues, etc.  I wanted to take it seriously and learn from it.  If effect, the article is saying the optimal place or team wants to create comfort zones for folks.  Because if we don’t then we risk killing “creativity and innovation.”  I have been around long enough to know that innovation and creativity are the lifeblood of our future.  The status quo will not cut it any more.  We need to help people grow.
   
Somehow the article got to the writer and poet, Maya Angelou.  I have read some of her works and know how famous she was.  The author, Julia Daley, noted that Angelou “suggested that we all ask each other four questions all the time.”  She added the caveat, but we ask these four questions “unconsciously.”  I could not wait to see the four questions. 
   
Daley says, “So here are Maya Angelou’s four questions: 1. Do you see me? 2. Do you care that I’m here? 3. Am I enough for you, or do you need me to be better in some way? And, 4. Can I tell that I’m special to you by the way that you look at me?”  I reeled a bit after reading these four questions.  They are deep and powerful.  What if in our meeting, I am asking you these questions and you are also asking me these questions!  And we don’t even know we are asking the questions!  Talk about a loaded situation!  These questions are designed to help us decide whether we are comfortable in the situation or if our experience is one of discomfort. 
   
I admit I love the questions.  They are clear and forthright.  Do you see me?  If my sense is you don’t see me, then I do experience some discomfort.  When I think about this in spiritual terms, it has even more poignancy.  When I think about Jesus, I see a guy who routinely “saw” people.  In fact, I think his seeing was quite penetrating.  He could see right into our soul.  In this sense he “knew” people. 
   
Some people were so touched, they became disciples and followed him.  They grew and grew as men and women of the spirit.  Their growth came as a result of their affirmation of the second question, namely, do you care that I’m here?  Of course Jesus cared.  And as disciples, we need to learn to care like he did.  Whether it is a student or a friend, we need to “see” the other person and help them see that we care that they are here.  In some way this is an act of love.  And they will grow from this love.  And surely, we also will grow from loving.
   
I happen to think Jesus made all folks feel like they were enough.  We all know we are sinners and often we are made to feel like we are not enough because of our past or present problems.  But Jesus received folks as they were.  He helped them grow.  Often this included healing, forgiving, etc.  But he started by accepting them where and as they were.  They did not have to be perfect in order to relate to him. 
   
The last question has power to it.  It simply asks whether I know that I am special by the way you look at me.  Again, all the spiritual sages of the ages were able to help folks see that they were special.  To be special does not mean we are perfect.  We are special simply because we are a child of God.  The specialness comes from being in the image of God.
   
But being special does not mean there is no room for growth.  I think that is the point of the article.  Unless I feel these four questions are answered affirmatively, I am afraid and will not grow and blossom as a person---a spiritual person.  I see truth in this and am glad to learn more than I thought I knew.
   
I am better equipped to help people grow since I know these four questions we are always asking each other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri