Skip to main content

Ignatius of Loyola

Yesterday was the feast day of Ignatius of Loyola, famed founder of the Jesuit order within the Catholic Church.  For some daily devotions, I normally follow the lectionary.  A lectionary is a selected group of biblical readings for the day.  As I have often commented, the various orders of monks and nuns around the world follow a lectionary.  Each time they gather for worship, there will be a reading from the Old Testament, a piece from the Psalms and a New Testament reading.  I like following the lectionary because if provides a pre-selected group of texts.  It keeps me from reading my favorites all the time!
   
Within the Catholic tradition, there is also designated certain days that celebrate various people within the biblical tradition and beyond.  There are famous historical figures, like Augustine, Thomas Aquinas and others.  Among this group is Ignatius of Loyola.  Ignatius was a native Spaniard---born in the Basque country in northern Spain.  His early adult years was spent in the military.  However, he was seriously wounded in a battle in 1521 and during his convalescence, he experienced a religious conversion. 
   
Later he decided he wanted to learn Latin and study for the ministry, so he went to Paris to enroll in the university.  During this time, he attracted others who were fellow pilgrims in the spirit.  A bond developed among them and they called themselves “companions of Jesus.”  This group eventually would become known as the Society of Jesus, from which we get our descriptive word for them---Jesuits.  They were formally recognized in 1540. 
   
In effect, the Jesuits became soldiers of Christ.  The Jesuits made a vow to serve the Pope as missionaries.  They were willing to go anywhere in the world to serve.  Rather than continue to recount the history of this interesting man, I would like to share a few quotations that give us a sense of his spirit.  I admit in the early part of my own spirituality, I did not find Ignatian spirituality spoke much to me.  But as I have grown, I find it does help me in my journey.
   
One of the more famous sayings from the founder of the Jesuits is his admonishment to “go forth and set the world on fire.”  I think this is exactly what he expected of all those guys who would become Jesuits.  In effect to become a Jesuit was to become a serious disciple of Jesus.  Ignatius was sure that he and his band of followers were nothing more than sixteenth versions of Jesus’ disciples.  And maybe that is where Ignatius is still relevant.  His writings and encouragement helps us in the 21st century become disciples in our own way. 
   
A second one-liner from Ignatius encourages us to “act as if everything depended on you; trust as if everything depended on God.”  This one sounds a bit like the admonition from John F. Kennedy when he said, “ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.”  I wish we had more of that spirit in our land today.  I like to join with the Jesuits in re-capturing a way to invite God into that mix. 
   
A third saying I like from the Spanish saint is simple: “love is shown more in deeds than in words.”  To this there is needed nothing more than “Amen!”  But then that is only one word.  We need to move toward deeds.  Words are ok, but actions are more expressive and powerful.  Simply compare saying the word, love, to an action, such as a hug or an embrace.  Even more powerfully, if we move love into the social justice arena, such as the immigration context, we can ask what deeds of love would look like?  I am sure the Jesuits and all of us would agree that words are ok, but deeds are needed.  Love is an action.  Love is a daily call to action.  Go and set the world on fire with love.
   
Another sentence from Ignatius gives us the reason for our being.  He assures us that “God freely created us so that we might know, love, and serve him in this life and be happy with him forever.”  I like the dual focus of this.  Some might argue it is the end result that is more important, namely, our eternal felicity with God.  But I am confident Ignatius and his band of Jesuits see the former as first and foremost. 

The reason for our being is that we do three things.  First, we are called to know God.  This is not a call for us to become theologians.  We are not called to know “about” God; we are called to know God.  This is a petition for experience.  We are called to experience God.  And then with this experience, we will already begin the process of knowing love---God’s love for us and our emerging commitment to love God and all of God’s creatures.  In effect, we were created to become lovers!  And finally, we were created to serve.  Service prevents us to be hung up on ourselves.  Service spares us from being selfish and self-serving.  It is through loving service that we will glorify the God who created us.

The purpose of a feast day in the lectionary is to teach us and to remind us.  Even though I am not Catholic, I appreciate this opportunity.  It is an opportunity to be reminded that we were created to love and to serve.  That surely is a bigger mission than for Catholics alone.  That is a mission we all can share.  Let’s go and set the world on fire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri