Skip to main content

Advice for Spiritual Folks

Recently I read that Pope Francis met with some young European men who were in the formation process to become Jesuits.  Knowing that Francis himself is a Jesuit, I was interested in what he would tell these guys.  One question that was posed to the Pontiff was how he suggested they communicate with young, unemployed youth?  His answer was a good one, but disappointing if you want a specific formulaic, “here’s how you do it” answer.  Obviously, the question points to one of those really difficult social issues.  There is not an easy, ready answer.
   
The Pope told the soon-to-be Jesuits they needed to cultivate three qualities, namely, to be courageous, prayerful and creative.  I like this response.  Granted it is a general answer; in fact, at the street level, it does not even seem to be an answer.  But surely it is good advice.  And I believe it is good advice not only for young men on their way to becoming Jesuits.  It is good advice for all of us striving to become more spiritual and to live a spiritual life.  Again, there are not specific answers for how to live spiritually.  The answers---guidelines---are general.  It is up to us to make specific the ways and means by which we will live the spiritual life.  And so I want to pursue in a little detail each of these three characteristics for spiritual living.
   
The first piece of advice the Pope offered was to be courageous.  Courage is a big, important word.  It is one of the classical virtues.  Every major religious tradition has a place for courage.  Some of the noblest stories of faith are stories of courage.  Jesus is a great example.  In fact, it is would be easy to understand that no courage, no cross.  It is easy to talk about faith and obedience and the like.  But without courage, none of these discussions would happen.  Without courage, there is no faith.  And the same can be said for obedience. 
   
Courage plays a key role in my recent book with my business colleague and physician colleague.  The good news, we suggest, is courage is not a part of DNA.  There is no courage gene.  We can learn to be courageous.  And of course, we learn to be cowards!  When it comes to courage in a spiritual sense, I do think it is easier to be courageous if I have experienced the Holy.  It is easier if I have begun to develop some principles of my faith.  But the principles have to be rooted in the heart---the seat of courage.  These principles cannot simply be ideas.  An idea is not yet a principle.
   
If we want to develop courage, I suggest we begin small and practice.  I think we become more courageous by practicing it.  Courage is not abstract.  Courage, like all virtues, is an action.  If I think about courage, it is not yet courage.  It is an idea.  Courage becomes real when it is an action.  So to develop courage requires that we take action steps.  In faith most of us don’t start with the cross!  We start with faith crawling steps.  It is things like acknowledging we are people of the faith.  It is starting to practice things like the Sermon on the Mount steps.  If we get easy with these, then maybe we are ready for the cross---if and when it comes.
   
The second thing the Pope enjoined the young Jesuits to do is become prayerful.  That seems so simple.  And it is easy to assume Jesuits can do this with no problem.  But that is not the issue.  The issue is ourselves.  How do we begin to become prayerful and then develop our prayer life?  Like courage, prayer is not prayer until we act.  Prayer can be a concept---an idea.  I can do a research paper on prayer, but it is not the same thing as actually praying.  There are many ways of defining and describing prayer.  I like to think about prayer as a relationship with the Holy One. 
   
Prayer is some form of communication.  It is easy to say communication is at the heart of relationship---and it is.  Here it is easy to dupe ourselves.  I may think I am very good at communication and, actually, stink.  I know how easy it is to mislead myself about prayer.  Key for me is intentionality.  I have to intend it and then do it.
   
The past bit of papal advice was to become creative.  That is great advice, but not easy to pull off.  Generally speaking, people are not very creative.  Most of us were as kids, but somewhere along the way, we become accustomed to routine and lose our creative capacity.  But is it not gone; just lost. 
   
I like to think about creativity in two different ways.  One was it to be generative.  If we generate things, we are creative.  I have two daughters; that was creative!  We can generate ideas.  We can generate solutions to problems.  And the thinking goes forward.  As people of faith, we are called to generate the kingdom of God here on earth right now.  We are called to create communities concerned with social justice. It is easy to see how often courage is related to creativity.
   
I also like to think about creativity in terms of life-giving.  Where life happens, creativity has been in play.  I can think about all the relationships, interactions and contexts of mine.  I can ask whether I bring life to these---creativity---or whether I suck the life out of these?  Do I add value or subtract?
   
Spiritual folks do well to take the Pope’s advice and, like the Jesuits, develop courage, prayer and creativity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri