Skip to main content

Climate as a Spiritual Issue

I consider myself pretty average.  I am average in probably most categories you can imagine.  I don’t have any problem with that.  Most people are average.  That is how you get average!  Of course, average typically is contextual.  I am average when it comes to being an American, white, male, etc.  If you put me in a global context, I am well above average in terms of financial worth, lifestyle, etc.  Being average actually has its perks.
   
Being average usually means we feel like we are owed as much as we owe.  Let me explain.  If I am average, then there are many above me.  If I am average, I tend to compare myself to those who have more.  Since “they” have more, I don’t owe anything---or maybe someone even owes me.  I think of taxes as an example.  I am not sure I know anyone who does not think they pay their share of taxes---or even more than their share.  When April rolls around, most of us are complaining about how much we owe!
   
Other areas are so mammoth, it does no good to think about who is average.  A recent issue in the news again is the focus on climate.  Doubtlessly, climate is such a huge issue, most of us don’t even think about it.  Again, if you are an average American, you jump in your car, drive where you want to, when you want to, etc.  We may grumble about the rising price of gas, but we buy it.  I have spent time in Europe, where the gas price is significantly higher and they pay it, too.  Almost no one thinks about himself or herself as a polluter.
   
Perhaps quite a few of us have read enough about climate to know many smart scientists think there is a looming problem---indeed, maybe crisis.  There are others who scoff at this notion.  We have a significant group of politicians who ridicule this scientific warning and so we go on with the status quo.
   
I am old enough, it probably does not matter.  Even if we are in real trouble with the climate danger, I will be drug offstage by death before I have to pay a price.  So apparently, that takes away any incentive I would have to make any changes.  But there is a catch.  And the catch has names.  The catch has names of my grandkids and your grandkids.  What if I change my focus and my attitude because of young ones who many live another eighty or ninety years!  I don’t want to leave a lousy legacy that potentially is disastrous.
   
Fortunately, there is great leadership being offered by another old guy, namely, Pope Francis.  In the summer of 2015 he issued a document that was touted, but needs more attention and demands some action.  It is a call to change.  And the call is a spiritual call.  The Pope sees the climate concern in spiritual terms.  This should grab the attention of any person from any faith tradition.  It is not a Catholic issue, Christian issue or any particular theological issue.  It is a global, human issue. 
   
I write this to call our attention back to the Pope’s insights.  The document is called Laudato Si, which means “Praise to you, O Lord.”  The Pope grounds his thinking in the theology of St. Francis of Assissi, his namesake.  In the initial words the Pope joins Francis of Assisi in reminding us that the earth is our “common home.”  That asks for a slight shift in awareness.  My home is not just the house in which I live.  Our home is the planet itself.  In this sense, we all live in the same home!
   
The Pope elaborates.  “…our common home is like a sister which whom we share our life and a beautiful mother who opens her arms to embrace us.”  The Pope joins a long tradition which sees the earth as our “mother.”  Who wants to trash your mom?  But that apparently is exactly what we are doing.  Pope Francis is explicit.  He laments, “This sister now cries out to us because of the harm we inflicted on her by our irresponsible use and abuse of the goods with which God has endowed her.”  And here we come to the savvy papal move.  We cannot simply see the earth as a neutral thing with which we can do whatever we want.  It is a living, breathing mother and sister provided for us and providing for us. 
   
The Pope uses strong language.  Our sister is crying out to us.  Francis uses language that sadly appears in our media today, namely, the language of abuse.  No one condones the abuse of another person.  The Pope and many scientists and leaders today call for us not to condone abusing our planet.  We may not be jailed for polluting our place, but we may effectively be putting our grandkids into trouble, if not, their own form of climate prison.  What to do?
   
Drive less is good.  Recycling is good.  The Pope is working pressuring major coal, oil and gas producers to help lead a shift to non-polluting energy resources.  It will happen; it just needs to happen sooner than later.  The Pope helps me see climate not simply as the way things are.  I need to see the climate as a spiritual concern.  And I need to do my part.  I need to act on my spiritual concern. 
   
I hope we all do our spiritual best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri