Skip to main content

Don’t Forget to Shake Hands

I was challenged when I read a recent reflection by Pope Francis.  His reflections were on an experience of greeting a group of teens.  His experience was not surprising.  Of course, the teens were extremely delighted to have a chance to be with the Pope, if only briefly.  Since they were all Catholic teens, it was even more special.  Some typical things happened.
   
The Pope stated, “They were all there waiting for me.”  Obviously, this was to be expected.  The Pope’s next observation is not surprising, but it is a bit funny.  He noted, “When I arrived, they made noise, as young people do.”  Since I have never met the Pope---this one or any one before him---I am not sure what I would do.  I suppose I probably would be quiet, but I need to be careful and not assume this means I show more respect.  I am confident the teens were showing respect in their own way---noisier to be sure.  Francis’ next observation goes to the crux of the issue.  He notices that “I went to greet them and only a few gave their hand.”
   
Everything is normal until the Pope offers his hand.  Sadly, for him, only a few reciprocated.  What were the others doing?  He tells us.  “The majority were with their cellphones (saying), 'photo, photo, photo. Selfie!'”  This did not sit well with Pope Francis.  And this precipitated his reflection and, in a sense, his complaint.  And this is the point of engagement for me and us.  His reflection enables me to ponder some important issues in my own life.
   
The Pope’s own perspective comes out clearly when he concludes, “I saw that this is their reality, that is the real world, not human contact.  And this is serious.”  Now I realize this is a significant issue.  He is raising the question, what is real?  He recognizes the reality of the teens is different than his reality.  Or it is more accurate to say he knows what reality is and theirs is not real?  This is not some tricky philosophy question we had to deal with in college. 
   
I was interested in how the Pope processed this and was open to how he could help me see things.  His main point is human contact is reality.  I doubt the teens would disagree, but in the moment, they clearly did not see it in those terms.  Teens aside, I am very interested in how the Pope develops the idea of human contact as central. 
   
The concern that jumps into the Pope’s mind is the threat of “virtual reality.”  This is what he worries about when he sees the youth opt for pictures rather the human contact of the handshake.  Obviously, it is not either/or.  But it does raise a good question that asks of each other, where do we spend time and what “world” do we live in?  Our contemporary culture may be in virtual reality as they spend time on phones and computers.  But this may just be a more sophisticated form of virtual reality than television was for an earlier generation.  Watching tv was a very passive, non-human contact form of life. 
   
Any of this kind of life---on the phone, web or tv---can be culturally alienating, says the Pope.  And this is a key insight for me.  The Pope puts it in the context of this story when he observes, “The world of virtual communication is a good thing, but when it becomes alienating, it makes you forget to shake hands.”  I laugh and think that a good speech title has just emerged: “Don’t forget to shake hands!”  To shake hands is not alienating.  It is engaging, inclusive and responsive.  It recognizes and respects the other. 
   
The Pope reflects further.  I like how he analyzes and articulates matters.  “It worries me that they communicate and live in a virtual world.  They live like this, communicate like this and do not have their feet on the ground.”  Having our feet on the ground is a great way to talk about being in touch with reality.  I am sure we can do this and still take pictures, be on the computer, etc.  But we have to be careful when we are engaged in these kinds of activities.  Don’t forget to shake hands!
   
That is actually where the Pope heads in his analysis.  He says, “We must make young people 'grounded' in the real world; to touch reality without destroying the good things the virtual world may have because they are useful.  This is important: reality, concreteness.”  While he is talking about the young people, I don’t think it is their issue alone.  I know too many people my own age about whom we can say the same thing.  We need to continue being in touch with reality.  Don’t forget to shake hands!
   
There are many ways to stay grounded.  Shaking hands is only a simple one.  Francis offers some advice to the youth.  He suggests, “Do something for others, because this helps them be concrete, it grounds them, and they enter into a social relationship.”  In a word Francis says to serve.  Service is never alienating.  Like shaking hands, service is engaging, inclusive and responsive.  It recognizes others and respects them.  Service done well even goes to the level of love. 
   
At this point, I want to understand the phrase, “Don’t forget to shake hands,” both literally and metaphorically.  Literally, it engages us in the specific, concrete.  And metaphorically, it keeps us grounded through things like service.  And I conclude, wherever and whenever we are dealing with reality, we are dealing with God.
   
So, don’t forget to shake hands.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri