Skip to main content

Death of a Modern Prophet

One of the most influential men of our times has died.  James Cone, noted theologian and leader recently passed away.  James Cone was the founder of what came to be known as Black Liberation Theology.  I met Cone a few times and heard him speak throughout the decades I have known him.  I fondly remember a recent time when he was on my own campus and delivered a challenging message.  He was very good and, I thought, the current generation of students need to hear him.  I like to think of Cone as one of the key bridge people.  Let me elaborate.
   
Cone was born in Fordyce, Arkansas in 1936.  The means he lived fourscore years in an America that changed remarkably during his lifetime.  And it means he lived in a country that did not change as much as he might have wanted or, even, expected.  He grew up in the deep South of the 1940s and 50s with all the racial bigotry that we associate with those years.  When he would tell stories of his younger years, it would be almost unbelievable to current college students.  He had stories of the KKK and of lynchings.  He had stories of prejudice that were heart wrenching.  He had experience that was not to be denied.
   
Cone escaped some of this by going to college.  From college he went on to Garrett seminary and then received his doctoral degree from Northwestern.  So he was now a very educated black man with the same stories.  Cone came into my awareness in the late 1960s.  he was hired by Union Theological Seminary in New York City.  Union was my second choice for seminary after I had finished college.  While I don’t regret going there, I do sense that I missed something by not having the chance to get to know Cone personally had I gone there.
   
Most of us know what the 1960s were like.  My memories of the Vietnam War, the feminist movement, the Civil Rights movement and the rest are very vibrant.  The stunning legislation passed during LBJ’s time as president began a process of change that we still are trying to bring to fruition.  The Civil Rights legislation was huge.  This legislation began to curb the most blatant form of racism.  Only a fool would say the days of racism are behind us.  In many ways racism has only become more subtle---until it still breaks out in appalling ways, like the shooting of unarmed black men and boys. 
   
In 1969 Cone published a book that sparked a new conversation in theological circles and in the wider culture.  Black Theology and Black Power was a stunner.  This launched what became known as the “Black Liberation Movement.”  It continues to this day both to describe our situation and to challenge.  No person in any spiritual community should be ignorant of this, even if they cannot identify it by name.  United Theological Seminary says of this book and of Cone, this was an argument for “God’s radical identification of black people in the United States.”
   
I like how the President Serene Jones of Union Seminary describes Cone’s person and work.  "Fifty years of students walk out of his class — they walk out in tears, they walk out inspired, they walk out troubled…But they all walk out feeling deeply touched by his kindness and his fierceness."  Fifty years teaching the future spiritual leaders of churches, temples and mosques.  Cone continued to speak, preach and write.  I remember especially his book, A Black Theology of Liberation and, more recently, The Cross and Lynching Tree
   
There are many ways to remember Cone and to appreciate everything he brought to the world---not just to the United States.  Let’s take one quotation from the last book mentioned above.  Cone writes, “The real scandal of the gospel is this: humanity’s salvation is revealed in the cross of the condemned, criminal Jesus, and humanity’s salvation is available only through our solidarity with the crucified people in our midst.”  Even to read these words is to experience one more time the power of a prophet.  It is one thing to have the prophets tucked away neatly in the Bibles on our desk or buried in the closet.  If you really want to read one of those prophets---Isaiah, Jeremiah or the others---you can open the Bible and do so.  But they never showed up in person.
   
Cone did show up in person.  He would not talk about the Babylonians or Egyptians, but about his neighbors and our neighbors who wronged and, sometimes, abused or even killed African-Americans.  As usual, hearing Cone or reading him made us uncomfortable.  I usually felt convicted and, then, convinced.  I was convinced he was accurate.  And then I hoped that somehow I could continue to change and grow---a kind of conversion, if you will. 
   
I am sure Cone had hope.  I doubt that he had implicit hope in me or any other particular person.  But I am sure he had hope because of God and of the gospel.  God’s story is ultimately a story of victory or, in old language, of triumph.  I value James Cone and everything for which he stood and all that he did.  His passing means others have to continue the prophetic witness and work.
   
I hope in some small way I and everyone I know can labor in the same spiritual work.  His day is done; we have work to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri