Skip to main content

More Resolutions

Yesterday we looked at some resolutions an 86-year old Jesuit priest.  While I am not generally into resolutions, I was fascinated by his list of ten resolutions.  I never wondered what does a retired priest and teacher resolve to do once his active career is finished and he is living in a retirement community?  I am not a priest and not yet retired, but I am getting along in years---as we all do as birthdays pile up. 

So it is I would like to look at Father William O’Malley’s last five resolutions.  On the surface they may not seem to be spiritual, but a deeper look reveals how spiritual they really are.  The first resolution that we hear from him goes like this. “Remind me that my caregivers have bad days, too.”  Part of me wants to laugh at this one.  While I am sure it is true, I don’t have caregivers in my life, such as all the folks in hospitals, nursing homes, etc. literally have caregivers all the time.  I have done enough ministry in these kinds of places to have immense appreciation for the folks who offer this kind of care.  It is not easy and, often, the ones doing this work are not paid what they deserve. 

When I think more about what O’Malley is saying with this resolution, I realize I do have caregivers, even though I am not retired in a nursing home.  My caregivers are family, students, friends and others.  Even the McDonald’s worker who serves my daily cup of coffee is a caregiver of sort.  Taking Fr O’Malley’s caution, I need to recognize they all have bad days too.  We often explain people by saying something like, “we are all humans.”  This simply means we are not perfect; I know this all too well in myself.  So all of us have bad days, too.  I want to be more understanding and offer some care to my caregivers.  That is what God does for us!

The next resolution from O’Malley is a good one for me to hear.  He asks, “Allow me a reasoned opinion without becoming opinion-bound.”  As I contemplate our divided populace in this nation, this would be a good resolution for all Americans.  Having opinions is quite normal.  It is our way of thinking about and shaping the world we experience.  But we need to accept these are opinions; others shape their world differently.  Of course, this does not mean all opinions are equal.  Some are more reasonable---more apropos to reality.  It is easy to extend this resolution to other religions---or to those with no religion at all.  I see this resolution as a prescription for peace and community-building.  I would like to be resolved in this way.

The third resolution I want to cite today seems appropriate to build on the one we just pondered.  Fr O’Malley petitions, “Sensitize me to the signals that say it’s ok to ask, ‘How’s it goin’?’”  I immediately resonated with this one.  The first thing I thought about was how often approach someone or in passing, say something like, “How’s it going?” or maybe “How are you?”  But we all know these are not real questions.  We don’t ask these expecting an answer---or at least a real answer.  How many times I have answered, “ok,” when I was asked one of these question.  The question was not real nor was my answer.  They are a kind of “social filler.”  It is as if we can’t simply say, “hello;” we need to say more---but the more is actually less!

What I think O’Malley is pointing to is that we be sensitized so that we deal in reality and in care.  I know there are too many times when I am not sensitive.  I am numb, superficial or all the other ways of being that are anything but sensitive.  Maybe being sensitive is one of the more profound ways of being spiritual.  When I think about Jesus, I get an image of someone who is always sensitive---to the situation and to people.  And from this sensitivity came his ministry.

O’Malley’s next to last resolution is simple and is slightly funny.  He asks, “Keep me aware that, if I forget all this, I waste a lot of learning.”  Maybe it is funny because I have learned a lot and understand how easy it is to waste.  If we have lived a few decades, we have learned a lot.  We know what is good, true and right.  If we forget this, we have waste our treasure.  That is sad.  And perhaps, resolutions are designed to keep us from being spiritually sad.  We have much to lose.  So our prayer is to keep aware.  Awareness is a key spiritual characteristic.

The last resolution the 86-year old priest makes is a wise observation.  He acknowledges, “Remind me you had a reason to create things that eventually wear out.”  This is a quietly spiritual recognition that God, as O’Malley understands God, did in fact create things that wear out.  This is a good reminder that we are all part of the creative, evolutionary process that characterizes this world.  We may not like it; we may not understand it.  But that’s the way it is.  Death is part of the equation of life.  It is not only true for humans; it seems to be woven into the very fabric of the cosmos.  Every winter we are reminded of this.  Every spring we celebrate the new life the flourishes into being.

I am ok with this.  I am long since beyond the springtime of my life.  Doubtlessly, I am into the fall season of my life.  I can hope that there is still beauty.  I pray there is some wisdom.  I hope there is understanding and acceptance of who I am and what I have done and where I am going.  I realize in a deep fashion how important trust is to the process.  Trust is the fabric of relationships.  This is true for family and friends and, certainly, true for God. 

Humans are part of a bigger story.  We are part of the larger cosmos---the still unfolding universe.  As one theologian put it, we are born of dust and heading for divinity.  I trust that process and resolve myself to engage it, enjoy it by embracing all that God provides.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri