Skip to main content

Holiday Hiatus

We have survived another holiday hiatus!  I realize most folks would not put it this way, but it is a good way to understand the Christmas/Hanukkah/New Year’s Day combination.  I also realize the word, hiatus, is not a word you regularly hear in a McDonald’s coffee conversation.  But it is a good word.  It means a gap or break.  In the way it is being used here, it means a break or interruption in time or routine.  Oddly enough, the root meaning goes back to the Latin word for “yawn.”  So we have just come through a big yawn in routine time!

A hiatus is often a very good thing.  It is not unusual for people to get tired or even bored with their routines.  “Same job day after day,” is a common lament.  Even those of us who like our jobs are often eager for a break.  And certainly those who no longer have jobs because of age, infirmities, etc. welcome a break in their routine.  Busy people need one kind of break; bored folks need a different kind of break.

It is not unusual for the holiday hiatus to bring people into our lives whom we do not regularly see.  Kids come home; parents go to kids’ houses.  Cousins show up; uncles and aunts arrive with their stories and tales.  Good friends get together to remember and to anticipate.

One of the ways I experience the holiday hiatus is the disruption of my normal sense of time.  Because Christmas and New Year’s Day are always specific days, i.e. Dec. 25 and Jan. 1, they can fall on any of the seven days of the week.  So for two weeks I cannot figure out which are weekdays and which are weekend days.  At least in my life, Saturday and Sundays are different than the other five days of the week.  But during the holiday hiatus, this is not true.

But now the hiatus is finished.  Normal time returns.  Mondays will feel like Mondays again.  This awareness does not lead me to any significant theological or philosophical insight.  In and of itself time does not bring its own meaning.  I am convinced human beings make meaning.  We might inherit it from our culture, from our parents, from our friends and peer group.  Or we might make our own meaning.  And for this I am grateful.  

I like the fact that meaning is made.  As a Christian, I can ponder some of the stories of this past Christmas season and remember how that Christmas story is a form of meaning making.  All the stories about baby Jesus, the manger, the shepherds, and so on were stories that began the process of creating a way to understand the meaning of this birth.

My choice is to decide whether any of that Christmas story has meaning for me.  And if it has any meaning, does that meaning extend now into my ordinary time?  Or do I simply set it aside until next December?  I will share how it is meaningful to me now in normal time.

Primarily, the Christmas story is a story about God’s involvement in human history.  The same is true for Hanukkah.  It also is a story about God’s involvement.  I do not believe God’s involvement was a one-time or even two-time deal.  I believe Hanukkah and Christmas are “paradigm stories.”  A paradigm is an outstanding example or model of the way things happen.  Hence, we celebrate them as holidays and, rightly, there is a holiday hiatus to focus that celebration.

The good news is God continues to become involved in human history---in yours and, hopefully, mine.  I want to be open to that involvement.  I want to do what I can to intend it and incarnate it just like I think Jesus wanted to intend and incarnate.

My desire and goal is not to let any ordinary day be so routinely lived that it has no meaning.  If that happens, I will be more than disappointed.  I will have failed.  So let this day be the first day of my success…and yours, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri