Skip to main content

Follow Jesus

Occasionally, I realize I can read and read and wonder if it is like “binge reading.”  I realize this is probably not fair to those folks with an eating disorder and I mean no disrespect.  Of course, I think reading is good, healthy, etc.  I can’t imagine a life in which I could not read things.  I remember the liberation that comes from being able to put various letters together to get words and, then, watch the magic of sentences as multiple words combine to make deeper meanings.  For example, the simple word “cat” is barely interesting in itself, but put it in a sentence with a verb and that cat starts doing amazing things!  My interest in the cat soars.
   
But I also realize I can read things and never do anything with the ideas, advice and suggestions.  Learning with no application may not be adequate.  Surely this is true in the life of faith and in our spiritual journeys.  Faith is not simply an intellectual exercise.  As important as doctrine might be, doctrine does not inspire, save or succor our souls.  When those early disciples encountered Jesus, they did not say, “that was interesting,” and continue fishing.  His presence and pronouncements change their lives.  I can only imagine it was the same thing for early Buddhists and others in faith journeys. 
   
Our faith journeys are not IQ adventures, but “I can” adventures.  The invitation to spiritual journeys is not “sure,” but “start.”  Start embodying what Jesus asks us to do.  There are sufficient guidelines.  Some of the guidelines are fairly general---love your neighbor.  But we don’t need to detail this.  Most of us are smart enough to know how to put that general request into practice.  Love your neighbor is not an ancient maxim that makes no sense in contemporary culture. 
   
It actually makes perfect sense in the culture in which I live.  I realize I have blown it when I turn into a rage driver.  Of course, I do not think I drive that way.  In my mind I am the perfect Quaker behind the wheel.  I am free of conflict, never even close to being out of control and pre-eminently a peacemaker on wheels.  And then I realize I do something out of character.  Somehow the horn blows.  Somehow I find myself speaking in tongues, but not recognizable spiritual language the Apostle Paul had in mind.  Anger replaces an awe that I might have cultivated!
   
That is when the recent words of one of my favorite Catholic bishops make sense.  Bishop Thomas Gumbleton shared these words in one of his sermons in Detroit about following Jesus.  I especially like what he tells us about how Jesus reaches out to people.  “With Jesus, it was always a personal interest in any person that came to him.  He didn't treat them as objects to be taken care of.  They were people, individual human beings made in the image and likeness of God.  I think of lots of examples in the Scriptures where Jesus reaches out to somebody, but he does it with such respect.”
   
Not only did Jesus calls us to be lovers, he also enjoined us to be makers of peace.  This is an important call to heed, inasmuch as there is so much noise for conflict, retaliation and revenge in our world.  It is one thing to proclaim your favorite sports team to be #1.  It is a bit scary when this moves into the political realm when power and arrogance make a threatening couple.
   
This is why Gumbleton is quick to cite Pope Francis’ recent words for peace.  The Pope asks us, “Is it possible to walk the path of peace?  Can we get out of this spiral of sorrow and death?  Can we learn once again to walk and live in the ways of peace?  Yes, it is possible for everyone!  How I wish that all men and women of good will would look to the cross if only for a moment!  There, we can see God's reply: Violence is not answered with violence; death is not answered with the language of death.  In the silence of the cross, the uproar of weapons ceases and the language of reconciliation, forgiveness, dialogue and peace is spoken."
   
It sounds so simple to walk and live in the ways of peace.  For most of us our daily routine is the laboratory to practice this walk.  It is in the drive to and from work.  It is in our daily interaction with students, customers and all those with whom we come into contact.  For Christians it is a commitment to follow Jesus, not simply to believe in him.  It is to walk the talk, not simply talk about the walk. 
   
This walk asks for change---and we don’t mean the quarters in our pockets.  It asks for a change in life.  To follow is an active verb.  It demands movement; it has a goal; it holds consequences.  Our problem usually is not ignorance.  It is resolve---resolve to start and to continue following the one who loved and made peace.  No doubt, we will find partners in Buddhists, Jews, Hindus, Muslims and other who are also seriously taking their faith journeys.
   
Off we go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri