Skip to main content

When the Shepherd is Female

I never thought too much about it.  Quakers have historically argued for the equality of men and women when it comes to spirituality.  Even when Quakers began in seventeenth century England, they felt like God was just as likely to speak to women as to men.  And they felt like women were given ministries to do just as men were given ministries.  Hence in my lifetime, there often has been an incongruity between my religious tradition and the culture.  I knew my religious tradition held to a radical equality of the genders.  And I also sensed that the culture in which I lived was patriarchal---that is, male dominated.
   
And so when the crazy 1960s spawned so many different kinds of movements, it was not surprising one of those movements was the feminist movement.  Clearly, feminism has a complex history that extends to our very day, but let me be simple and say feminism is concerned for the equality of gender.  In a certain way a feminist is someone who wants to rid culture of gender bias and discrimination.  Feminism wants to see women get as good a deal as men.  In this sense I am a feminist.  I often tell folks I am a feminist because of my two daughters.  But I am a feminist also because it is simply the right way for things to be---in my opinion.  And at least that is more than just a personal opinion.  It is also a Quaker opinion.
   
And so one aspect of the ministry in which I have been involved has been to carry this concern for the equality of women.  Usually, it is not a big deal.  Most folks have a sense that this is the only decent thing to do.  Most folks agree women need equal chances.  Now that I have multiple grandkids, some of whom are young girls, I am still very much concerned for their equal treatment. 
   
And for me, the feminist concern also is a theological issue.  Theologically, there are actually two issues.  One issue is my conviction that God intends for Adam and Eve to get the same deal.  Of course, there are many biblical texts that can be brought forward to argue many different points.  In the end, however, I do think God wants to love each gender and to hope that each gender is treated equally.  God speaks equally to men and women and bestows equally ministries on both gender.
   
The second theological issue deals with who God is.  I believe God is not gendered.  That means, I don’t think God is male or female.  God is beyond the gender distinction.  But I also realize and relish that we can use metaphors from both genders to describe God and how God works in the world.  God can rightly be called Father.  And appropriately, God can also be called Mother.  God is both a maternal and paternal presence in our world.  God is creative and caring as both genders can be.  I heartedly contend that just because traditionally God is called the Father does not mean that metaphor is more meaningful or more important. 
   
I also am aware that both gender metaphors have been applied to Jesus throughout Christian history.  It is obvious to me that the historical Jesus---the human guy---was male.  But surely like all of us who are male, Jesus has a feminine side.  One of the more remarkable features of medieval history is the tradition that used the metaphor, Mother, to describe who Jesus was and his work.  Most Christians are unaware of this tradition and, therefore, would find it strange.
   
Most of us know the very familiar image of Shepherd that was applied to Jesus.  Doubtlessly, this shepherd image is borrowed directly from the Old Testament---the Hebrew Bible.  Psalm 23 is the most familiar one: the Lord is my shepherd…  I am confident the Jews do not understand the reference in Psalm 23 to refer to Jesus.  But I am equally confident that this shepherd image is directly applied to understand the work and ministry of Jesus.  Jesus becomes the Shepherd and his disciples are his sheep.
   
Paradoxically, those of us who are sheep can also experience what I call “metaphor shift.”  With our call to ministry, we also see a shift of imagery.  We also become shepherds.  And this happens to women just as equally as it happens to me.  This became reality for me in a stint of pastoral ministry I did earlier in my life.  A committee in the church was formed to care for members within the congregation.  Because most of the members of the committee were women, one of the clever women suggested a novel name for the committee.
   
The committee came to be known as Amaryllis.  Amaryllis is the feminine Latin word for Shepherdess---a female Shepherd.  This was no joke.  It was a serious congregational recognition that this committee was maternally shepherding the people of concern in the congregation.  The committee shepherded everyone in the congregation through ups and downs in life.  Every time I get a birthday card from the “Amaryllis group,” I smile and give thanks. 
   
I give thanks when the Shepherd is female.  Her concern is genuine; her touch is for real; her love is deep.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri