Skip to main content

Preserve Me, Lord

Sometimes I wonder if I would make it as a monk!  Actually I don’t really wonder, because I am fairly sure I would blow it.  There is so much about being a monk that I find attractive.  But I fear that I idealize what being a monk means.  And that is funny, since I have been to any number of monasteries and convents and actually know quite a few monks and nuns.

If I am honest, what really attracts me is not being a monk, but it is the way of life that monks and nuns undertake.  That attraction is deepened by the fact that a group of them undertake that life together in community.  And they do that life together with such intentionality.  I am sure that intentionality is a big piece of the attraction for me and it is probably why I know I would blow it!  That is because intentionality has to be married to discipline to be effective.

So I content myself to staying on the margins of monastic life.  Fortunately the monastic community welcomes people who like to do as much as we can.  And I can honestly say that some days I do better and some days I am a dismal failure.  And I really know this has little to do with monks and the monastic ways.  I know there are some Quakers and Methodists and a whole bunch of others who do their spiritual lives as fully as the monks and nuns.  I know that one does not have to join the monastery to be fully spiritual.

So I, a humble Quaker, continue to live at the monastic margins and give thanks for the assistance the monastic tradition offers to help me on my spiritual journey.  One such big help is the lectionary---the daily readings that I know take place every day in the Benedictine monasteries across this land.  I know the very disciplined monks, like my monastic friends at Gethsemani Abbey in Kentucky, do worship seven times a day!  I know I can do it too.  When I visit Gethsemani, I get up and “go to church” at 3:15am for the first of seven times!  The last one happens at 7:30pm, which makes quite a day!

With the lectionary I try to participate in one or two of those seven options.  I always know there will be readings from the Psalms and from scripture.  I appreciate the routine of exposure to that spiritual resource.  Last night, for example, I was able to tune into the Compline reading---that reading I know my monk friends were doing at 7:30.

I saw that one of the Psalm passages to be read was Psalm 16.  I loved the opening words.  “Preserve me, Lord.”  What a wonderful prayer.  For sure, it makes sense as a prayer said as one is heading to bed.  Through the night we pray, preserve me Lord.  Another translation says, “Protect me, Lord.”

Then the Psalmist says, “I put my hope in you.”  I like that intentionality to hope in the Lord.  God is my hope, I think.  But the sneaky question pops into my head: do I really live life with hope in God?  I push this thought a little further.  Can I honestly say in what I hope?

I am sure I have many hopes.  I have hopes for my kids and, now, my grandkids.  I have hopes for my students, my friends, etc.  These are valid hopes and good hopes.  But I recognize they are not ultimate hopes.  I wonder if there cannot be but one ultimate hope?  I want to be able to say---and to live---into that one ultimate hope, namely, my hope in God.

Then I could join the Psalmist in the next line.  “You are my Lord, in you alone is all my good.”  I want that to be more than words on a page or on the screen.  I want that to be more than a good idea or a lofty ideal.  I want it to be real---to be incarnated in my life on a daily basis.  The Psalmist continues: “You, Lord, are my inheritance and my cup.  You control my destiny, the lot marked out for me is of the best, my inheritance is all I could ask for.”

At my age I don’t think about inheritance!  Rather I think about what my kids will inherit when I am gone.  Not much, I dare say!  But what if it is true that I do have an inheritance?  What if God is my inheritance?  The good news is I could start drawing on this inheritance in this lifetime.  I don’t have to be dead to get something.

Put my life in God’s hands and embrace the destiny laid out for me.  I note the Psalmist did not say pre-destiny.  I have a destiny; God can be my inheritance.  Of course, I can still say no thanks!  That is what is so easy to do.  Say no thanks and go about living my life exactly the way I want to live it.  “Not thy will, but my will.”  That is what the monks have given up.  That is why I find them---or their way of life---attractive.

I want to embrace that way of life and claim my inheritance.  I want to engage the destiny God has in mind for me.  And through the process I can pray, “Preserve me, Lord.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri