Skip to main content

Opting for Social Justice

I am for social justice.  If asked whether I am for social justice, of course I would answer positively.  Even those who are against it----or who don’t care---probably would say they are for it.  It is easy to conclude it would be un-American to be against social justice.  In fact, I would guess that most of us think social justice is actually about us.  We are for social justice because we claim it is important to be just.  And part of that claim is society should treat us justly.  It is our right---our human, American right.

But I also know there are plenty American citizens who are quite sure there are some in this country who are being denied social justice.  And they are sure some of us are more privileged and that we are the ones who are not aware of social injustices.  No doubt, I know I am one of the privileged.  In fact, I have many markers or privilege: race, sex, education and so on.  I am set up for things to go my way and to get my way.  This seems perfectly normal for me and I would be surprised that other folks would see life any differently.

Of course, I know there are some who are less fortunate.  In almost every case I could account for their misfortune.  They aren’t as well educated.  They have been unlucky.  They have not worked as hard.  And the list can go on and on.  My list is my way of staying out of touch---immune, if you will---to the plight of so many Americans, not to say countless other millions around the globe. 

I am for social justice.  This issue has been raised again in my consciousness because I    have been reading a recent book on social justice with a group of friends.  In many ways the issues are not new to me.  And the author, Curtiss Paul DeYoung, uses people about whom I know to illustrate his points.  I appreciate this re-exposure to social justices issues.  I am thankful to be confronted and questioned about my outlook and commitments.  For me it is a spiritual thing. 

The book opens with a story drawn from the mid-twentieth century deep South of this country.  It recounts the telephone exchange between an angry white person disgusted with the bus boycott going on in Montgomery, Alabama, and Martin Luther King.  Basically, the white caller threatened King’s life.  “The threat was to “blow your brains out, and blow up your house.” (1)  The threat is clear.  The feelings, even after all these decades, are palpable.  It is easy to imagine the fear in the heart of the civil rights leader.

We are told that King got some coffee and prayed.  Both seem like a good idea to me.  The author recounts the prayerful words of King.  “Lord, I’m down here trying to do what’s right.  I think I’m right.  I think the cause we represent is right.  But Lord, I must confess that I’m weak now.  I’m faltering.  I’m losing my courage.”  I understand King’s feelings and his hesitancy for the task ahead.  Social justice usually invites us into courage.  And courage is never courage until it is an action. 

This is a good story.  As one old enough to remember the ‘60s, it narrates history the way I remember it.  However, I would be lying if I tell you exactly what I was thinking and feeling in the 60’s.  Of course, I have memories and I think they are correct.  But I also know memories are shaped by our experiences as well as our expectations.  I do know the ‘60s changed me.  And I am confident I have even more changing to do before I leave this earth. 

I am sure I grew up in a rural Indiana world where racism did exist, but that I would never have thought about it.  Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King and all the other activists of that time were a challenge not only to folks in Alabama, but in Indiana, too.  For awhile I wasn’t even aware but people like Parks and King helped me become aware of an important issue.  At first I did not realize their issue was also my issue.  And of course, racism was not the only social justice issue.  There were others. 

There are plenty of social justice issues.  Rather than despair or ignore them, I want to be aware and do my part to address them and take care of them as I can.  I am not the savior, but no one reading this is either.  But that does not get us off the hook.  If we are followers of Jesus or practicing Jews, Buddhists or any other group like this, we have a responsibility to be for social justice.  Some of this means being educated about the issues.  But it is more than education.

Finally, it requires action.  We have to do something.  At least, I can do something in my own little world.  I can address this stuff on my campus.  I can do better by my friends and those I see who are on the short end of social justice.  I can ask my friends to do their part.  I can’t save the world, but I can make a difference in my little part of the world.

With the right perspective, we can be thankful we can do our own little part.  To do that helps me know I am on the side of God and all God’s people.  I opt for social justice and hope you do, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri