Skip to main content

I Have Seen You

I frequently realize I live in different times than when I grew up.  Since I spend most of my time with college-age students, I spend little time reminiscing about the “good old days.”  I am absolutely certain college students don’t care and they don’t want to hear about “what it was like when I was their age.”  And I don’t blame them.  When I was their age, I surely did not want to hear a bunch of old guys (or gals) talking about their younger years. 
   
Yesterday was a reminder to me that I live in a different era.  I was invited to do a keynote speech.  That is not unusual.  I have been invited to speak for years now---even decades.  Sometimes it is an invitation from a friend or, as often happens, from a Quaker group who knows me or knows about me.  These kinds of invitations are never surprising.  In many of these cases, the person or group who invites me has a very good idea of what they will get when they invite me.  And sometimes I am invited by students on my campus.  And of course, they are pretty confident they know what I will say or they actually tell me what they want me to address. 
   
Yesterday was different.  I was contacted by a person I did not know.  Interestingly, she was a Catholic nun.  I can tell you I don’t have too many nuns after me to speak to their group.  So this was both a surprise and a treat.  As I read the invitation and began to grasp what I was being asked to do, I was eager to read on.  Fairly quickly, the nun referenced two people who know me and apparently vouched that I was ok.  I do consider both of these people friends, but I have no clue how the nun knows either one of them.  So that intrigue remains without any answer.  And the good news is, I don’t have to have an answer.
   
The clincher in the invitation, however, came when I read to the last paragraph.  The nun said she had checked me out on YouTube!  I am aware that some of the things I have done have been posted on YouTube.  I have never bothered to put anything there on my own.  But some of the various speaking engagements I have done do appear on that social medium.  And in most case I had no say in whether it was posted online.  So this is a new era.  A nun checked me out and I was ok.  It seems that I am a good risk to speak to her group.
   
As I thought about this, I realized in some way the nun had told me, “I have seen you.”  This is true, even though we have never met.  She has seen me.  But I have not seen her.  Of course, I will meet her someday.  She will know me; right now I have no clue what she looks like or almost anything else about her.  But my main point is, she has seen me.
   
This fact prompted me to think about an analogy.  It prompted me to think about God.  And to think about God is to begin to think theologically.  As I often tell students, theology is the way humans think about and describe God.  Theology is a human endeavor to talk about the mystery, which I consider God to be.  To say God is a mystery is not to say anything specific about God except to say I can know almost nothing for certain.  To say that God is mystery is to affirm that God exists, but it also affirms I can’t define or thoroughly describe this mystery.  And I am actually quite happy about this.  God is bigger than any definition. 
   
Even though God is a mystery to me, I do believe I can “know” some things from God and about God.  I am ok with the metaphors of Father and Mother.  I think God is both and, of course, neither.  I am also happy to use non-personal metaphors to talk about God.  One of my favorite non-personal metaphors for God is to describe God as energy.  I am comfortable talking about God as the energy that creates and sustains our world.  God is ever-present to me as the energy flowing through my house.   
   
I am also happy to talk about the kinds of ways that God relates to me and to all people.  It makes sense to me to talk about God as energy enlivening me.  When I think about God as Mother, it makes sense to feel loved and nurtured.  That’s what mothers do.  And when I think about God as Mother, Father or Friend, I can understand that God might even say, “I have seen you.”  In a deep way I do think God has seen me.  And I think God has seen you and every other creature on this planet.  We have been seen and will continue to be seen.  And none of this will be posted on YouTube.
   
God has seen me in the same way the nun has seen me.  By seeing me, she has a sense of what I am like and can judge how I would do in a similar speaking context for her.  God’s seeing me goes even deeper and has more profound implications.  God does not want me simply for a speaking engagement.  My future with God is not a half-hour keynote and then it’s over.  God’s seeing me is not a request for a little time, but it will be an invitation for my life.  God does not want a speech.  God’s invitation to me is a request for my life.
   
God wants me to come into a relationship and to begin to emulate in my own way what God wants for all people.  By having seen me, God concludes I can do it.  I can become divine-like and become a creative, loving force in the world.  To choose any other way of force is to opt for some kind of destructive, chaotic presence.  God wants nothing less from you.
   
God wants me and you to say yes as much as the nun wanted an affirmative response from me.  One is simple and can be done with some words in a speech.  God’s invitation is for a lifetime.  It can only be done in actions that ultimately will transform this world into the kingdom we all dream can be true.  Say yes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri