Skip to main content

Contemplation and Action

At some point in my teaching career, I realized there are certain basic themes I want to address in almost every different kind of class I teach.  One of these themes is the twin ideas of contemplation and action.  Too often in the history of the Christian Church, these twin themes are treated as either/or.  Either one is a contemplative or one gives life to action.  But I think all of us are called to be both contemplatives and active in life if we are to live a fully rich life. 
   
Of course, I am not the only one to think this way.  There are many others, but one of my favorite writers on this subject is my fellow Quaker, Parker Palmer.  He treats this theme in a rather full fashion in his 1990 book, The Active Life.  The book focuses on three sub-themes, which come across in the subtitle: A Spirituality of Work, Creativity and Caring.  There are many places in the book where Palmer makes the case for both contemplation and action, but one I choose to share makes the point.  “Action will always set up the need for contemplation.  But true contemplation is never a mere retreat.  Instead, it draws us deeper into right action by getting us more deeply in touch with the gifts that we have to give, with our need to give them, with the people and problems that need us.”
   
I join Palmer in contending that action always sets us up to need contemplation.  In my experience I watch folks who are merely activists for a particular cause run the risk of burn-out if they cannot find a way to be contemplative, too.  Activists expend energy for a cause and, therefore, need the contemplative time to refuel.  I experienced this the first time in my life during the 60s when so many of us were involved in trying to get the US out of the Vietnam problem. 
   
I also watched friends deeply involved in the Civil Rights movement in the 60s experience the same threat of burn-out.  Even though involvement in the cause was clear with purpose, there needed to be a contemplative presence to sustain us through the long journey of peace and justice.  And this made me more aware of other points that Palmer makes.
   
He is correct in noting that contemplation is never merely a retreat.  Often we associate being contemplatives means going off for a retreat of some sort.  It is a time to “get away from it all,” as the phrase often is articulated.  We are mistaken to think a couple days away recharges the spiritual batteries for another month or year or whatever time we will re-engage in our activity.  Contemplation does not mean “do nothing.”  Contemplation is engaging in its own right.
   
Palmer speaks to this when he says contemplation will draw us deeper into right action.  I appreciate his verb here: draw.  There is nothing in contemplation that should be forceful.  Contemplatives don’t deal in compulsions, orders or commandments.  No one can be forced to be contemplative.  It is a choice and deals with our willingness, as Gerald May so often reminds us.  To be contemplative is to choose willingly to go deeper into action.  Contemplation is not a flight from action or involvement in the world.  Contemplation is not escape!
   
Contemplation draws us deeper into action, Palmer contends, by getting us in more deeply in touch with our gifts.  I find this curious and challenging.  When I was younger, I began to realize I had gifts.  Of course, I don’t think I would have called them “gifts.”  I might have used the language of talent or something like that.  But I had gifts.  Secondly however, I am not sure I was in touch with these gifts.  I was not aware and that meant I was not able to actualize the gifts nor appreciate the effect my gifts might have on folks and situations.  I needed to become contemplative to get me more deeply in touch.
   
Palmer then makes two important observations.  We have gifts that we can give and we have a need to give them.  For example, many people have a gift of caring.  And any of us who knows we have the gift of caring also recognize we have a need to care.  We know caring is not some abstract idea.  Caring is usually a specific, practical being-there-for-someone action.  If we can marry the gift of caring with becoming contemplative, that means we sharpen our awareness of the gift and become sensitive to the variety of times and people with whom we may share the gift.  We become quite effective.
   
There are always people and problems which are the objects of the gifts we have and need to share.  If we become contemplative, we are always able to exercise this gift and not get depleted or burn out.  If we become contemplative, we don’t get into the sharing of our gifts with an ego that needs to be fed.  Contemplatives are not ego-driven and contemplatives do not become egomaniacs!
   
I appreciate Palmer’s help in giving me the rationale and language to articulate an important feature of spiritual life.  I understand that all folks on the spiritual journey are called to action and we are to nourish our inner life by becoming contemplative.  It is the way to be effective on the journey and to sustain the journey over the long haul. 
   
I am surprised decades after the 60s I am still on the journey.  It is a combination of contemplation and action. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri