Skip to main content

Praying to Celebrate Differences

I use various magazines and journals to keep me up to date on news that is worth knowing, but which I would probably miss knowing.  Through the process, you learn to trust certain venues and authors to tell you things you will want to know.  Some of them for me would be obvious, namely, Quaker periodicals to tell me about the Quaker world which is my own tradition.  But some of the things I read are a very different sort.  I routinely read periodicals and people who likely take a very different approach than I personally would.  I try to read people who think very differently than I do and have theological positions I personally don’t find speak to me.
   
This seems counter-cultural today.  I find so many people only watch news outlets that gives them the party line they hold.  Political liberals only watch MSNBC and, of course, conservatives only watch FOX news.  Too often, the same regimen holds for people who hold theological positions.  Part of me feels like it is a waste of time for me to listen to people tell me what I already know.  I want to learn, explore and grow. 
   
And so it was when I read one of my journals that come from a different place than I do.  The story’s headline caught my attention: “North Carolina imam urges Congress to ‘celebrate’ difference.”  I was hooked; I had to read it.  The story was about Duke University’s imam, Abdullah Antepli.  I learned that he is only one of seven imams since 9/11 to offer the opening prayer on the House of Representative’s floor.  It turns out he is the only one to do it twice.  That is interesting.  And I never heard of the man, but he clearly is an important figure.
   
The opening words of his second prayer touched me.  Antepli prayed, “As the Creator of all, you made us different…Enable us to understand, appreciate and celebrate our differences.”  Here is a Muslim praying to Allah/God with words I would be very comfortable praying.  In that sense Antepli is no different than I am---except he would have a different accent.  It would not be a Muslim accent as opposed to a Quaker accent.  Rather, it would be an English accented by his homeland of birth, namely, Turkey.
   
I like his opening address: Creator of all.  That clearly affirms the creation theology of the opening lines from Genesis, which Jews and Christians alike would affirm.  His next prayer request from the Creator of all is to offer appreciation that the Creator made us different.  Maybe some of us don’t like the fact we were made different, but I am really happy.  I cannot imagine a world in which everyone is like me!  And I don’t want to live in a world where everyone is like any particular reader of this piece.  I delight in the diversity of difference.
   
Antepli’s prayer continues in a way I can appreciate.  He asks God to enable us.  Some things stand out in this petition.  In the first place I really like the verb, “enable.”  He does not ask God to do it for us.  He does not complain to God that we are unable.  Antepli affirms our human desire to be at work and to join God in making a better world.  And so he prays that we be enabled.  And it is inclusive.  He asks God to enable “us.”  I would like to think he wants God to enable every one of us.  We all have a divine job to do.  
   
After the entreaty to be enabled, Antepli strings together three verbs that are hooked to the noun, “differences.”  The three verbs are: understand, appreciate and celebrate.  All three verbs excite me---especially as it has to do with differences.  And I also notice the word, “difference,” is actually plural: differences.  We do not have a single difference among us.  There are many.  Hallelujah, I say!
   
Antepli’s first verb is “understand.”  No doubt this is where it begins when dealing with diversity and differences.  We either understand or we don’t.  And if we don’t, then we either don’t care---or worse.  Violence can issue forth when understanding is missing.  To understand is a huge part of the divine work all of us have to do.  His second verb is “appreciate.”  Obviously, it is hard to appreciate when understanding is missing.  Appreciation is different than hoping the other person or group will change.  Appreciating is gratitude for the way the “other” actually is.  Appreciation leads to relationship, not domination.  His third verb is “celebrate.”  Appreciation leads to celebration.  To celebrate means I am happy with and for the differences.
   
As I read a little more about Antepli, I was encouraged by his faith journey and what he has to teach us.  He seems to be optimistic about all our possibilities.  I take heart in that.  I liked how one of his teachers described him.  “He believes that all people should be able to find something that unites them and can bring them together, even if they have very seemingly unmanageable gaps in their perspective or approaches," notes that teacher.
   
That’s good for me.  I want to associate with people like Abdullah Antepli.  I want to share his confidence that we can pray to Allah---God---and learn how to celebrate differences.  I want to participate with him and all other kinds of believers in making this a better world.  It will be a world where justice reigns and peace breaks out.  What a great place to live.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri