Skip to main content

Incremental Inspiration

I would claim that I have been inspired at times in the past.  Since I know Latin, I know the word literally means to have air or the spirit blown into us---“breathed into.”  Normally the language of inspiration involves the Deity.  For centuries people would think that God inspired people.  To this end, inspiration carried the notion that it was an opening or access to special or revelatory knowledge.  In this sense inspiration was always a gift.  Inspiration came from the outside.

I don’t disagree with any of this.  I do think inspiration is a gift in the sense that it comes from without.  This does not discount hard work or study.  Often they are prerequisites for inspiration.  I also like the idea that inspiration comes to us if we are open.  I suppose it is theoretically possible for inspiration to come to someone who is closed and not looking for anything.  However, the normal and expected coming of inspiration happens to those who are looking for it.

I also believe that God inspires people.  Of course, if you are atheistic, then this makes no sense.  If there is no God, surely there is no divine inspiration!  This does not mean that atheists cannot be inspired.  It does mean they would never think the source of inspiration is God.  This is not the place nor the time to take on this point.  Suffice it to say, since I do believe in some sort of Divine Being, I think that Being can be (and usually is) the source of inspiration.

What intrigues me is the process of the inspiration.  As I thought about my own experience, I realized that inspiration seldom has been momentous.  That is to say for me, inspiration is not some big mountaintop revelation.  I don’t discount these kinds of experiences.  Perhaps I have even had one or more that would be categorized as such.  In my case, however, these were not moments of inspiration so much as occasions of experiencing the presence of the Divine Spirit.  Hence, I am distinguishing between the experience of the presence of God and the experience of being inspired by God.

For me inspiration more often has been incremental.  That is to say, inspiration has tended to come slowly over time.  And more often than not, inspiration has come in little bits.  If I were to use an analogy, inspiration is more like the dawning of a new day rather than the sudden burst of sunlight at noontime.  Inspiration is more like the greying light that begins to brighten as the sun emerges into the full day.  In the beginning it might be hardly discernable.

Because inspiration is incremental, it can be easily missed or overlooked.  Analogously, if we are paying attention to the breaking of a new day, it is quite difficult to discern exactly when the night is finished and day has begun.  That is why I like to describe inspiration as a kind of dawning awareness.  Let me give you an example.

I have had three major career moves.  Because I wanted to be involved in a work situation where I felt “led” to be there, that meant even in my first career spot, I felt inspired by God to be there.  I realize this is very traditional language.  I can try to explain in some detail more about the process of being inspired by God to take a particular career piece.  It would be true for me, but would be singularly unconvincing to an atheist.  But I am ok with that.

My second career move was equally inspired by God.  In many ways this career move made little sense to a secular person.  In the eyes of the secular world, I lost money, status and more.  Why would anyone want to do this?  It was a legitimate question, but the answer was simple: I was inspired by God to make the move.  The inspiration was not momentous.  It came to me incrementally.  Only gradually and over time, was I more and more internally convinced this was how God was moving in me.  Of course, I could have been wrong.  After all, it is about faith.  I trusted God and my process of discerning inspiration.

My third move simply repeated the incremental inspirational process.  Career moves seem fairly big in life.  However, inspiration is not limited to “big time items.”  I am convinced I have been inspired in fairly small and, sometimes, seemingly insignificant ways.  There have been many occasions when I felt inspired just to be quiet and wait.  Perhaps I have remained more open because of this.

And just as many times, someone may come into my waiting presence with a problem or opportunity that I am able to take action.  This has happened too many times for me to discount it as pure happenstance.

I go back to where I began.  So much inspiration happens incrementally.  It depends on me being open to the possibility.  I need to provide access to my inner being for God to breathe in some spirit.  I need to be aware and attentive.  I don’t force anything.  I wait for whatever gift may be given.  And if there is no gift, that is ok.  Life goes on.  But when the gift of inspiration comes, I give thanks and respond.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri