Skip to main content

New Beginnings

I find myself at a place of new beginnings.  It occurs to me there are two kinds of beginnings.  One kind of beginning is the kind that happens for the very first time.  Often it is unique.  Nothing like it has happened before and, perhaps, never will happen again.  It is easy to think about my own beginning as a human being.  As far as I know, I have not existed before the day I was born.  And as far as I know, I will not exist again (in this form) after I die.  So I believe my being born is unique…it is one of a kind.  I know you, too, were born.  It might be like mine, but it is uniquely you.

The other kind of beginning might properly be called a “new” beginning.  This is the kind of beginning, which has happened before.  It is cyclical, that is, it has beginnings that come in cycles.  I am standing at the headwaters of a new academic year.  The first days of classes loom very near.  Already meetings are taking place to get ready for things.  I have begun new academic years many times by now in my life.  It is not unique.  Of course, not every academic year begins exactly like the previous ones.  But there are significant similarities.

Such is my new beginning.  I have been here before.  It is not novel.  Clearly, it may have some variation.  There will be issues that perhaps I have not considered in earlier academic beginnings.  But there is nothing strange about it.

The thought about beginnings has clear parallels to the spiritual life.  And I think both kinds of beginnings can be found in that spiritual life.  There are some spiritual beginnings which are unique, one-time kinds of beginnings.  And there are other kinds of beginnings which are cyclical and seasonal.  These will be repeated in some variation time and time again.  Let’s briefly explore each one.

It is easy to understand the kind of spiritual beginning that is unique.  Probably the most famous of these beginnings is the religious conversion experience.  “Once I was a sinner and now I am saved.”  This is the classical explanation of that kind of conversion.  Often it is associated with some kind of “altar call” experience.  Christianity is full of stories of women and men who were brought into the faith via this kind of beginning.

That kind of conversion experience is not a repeatable, cyclical experience.  If you are “saved,” you do not start sinning again just so you can be “saved” again.  Instead, if you have been “saved,” you begin the discipline of spiritual growth and development.  This anticipates the other kind of beginning…the repeated beginnings, which we can look at momentarily.

I know more about the repeated beginnings.  Although I can talk about the “born again” kind of unique spiritual beginning, that kind of beginning has not been my experience.  I cannot point to a time---a day or a moment---that I was “saved” or “born again.”  Sometimes, I wish I had such an experience.  It seems so clear, so precise, and so definitive.  But it has not been my experience, so wishing for it gains nothing.  I am glad for those who have had it this way, but it has not been my way.

It is more difficult to describe my beginning (or new beginnings?) into the spiritual life.  Rather than being “born again,” it is more like a slow discovery that I am being drawn into the spiritual.  There is no precision.  There was not a first time, an exact date, or specific experience.  And in my experience there may be repeated beginnings…much like the repeated beginnings of academic year at a college.  For example, I begin prayer.  But I might appropriately begin prayer (or begin different forms of prayer) many times during my life.

This is like the spiritual growth and development which needs to happen even for the “born again” kind of spiritual person.  Maybe it is because that is my way, but I like it the way it is.  My spiritual life is like a new academic year.  I will do what I need to do.  I will do my best.  Some things go well.  And I know some things will not go so well.

Next year there will be a new beginning.  So it is with my spiritual life.  I may be at the beginning of a new phase of the spiritual adventure.  Instead of prayer, I might prefer meditation for this phase.  It goes along, but begins to get a bit stale.  At some point, someone may suggest adding yoga as a different meditative option.  This is a new beginning, if I choose to do it.  It was a new beginning, but I might choose not to do it.

I appreciate my new academic beginning.  It prompts me to step back and ponder my spiritual life.  Am I stale?  Is there a desire for a new beginning?  In my case, I think the answer is yes.

Now what will I do…what will I do (or be) for a new beginning?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri