Skip to main content

Busyness is Not the Goal

In a recent class discussion, the topic of being busy came up and all heads seemed to nod.  At least on a college campus everyone I know would claim to be busy.  My fellow faculty colleagues certainly see themselves as very busy people.  And no doubt, the students are sure they are quite busy.  But it is not confined to these two groups.  Staff will let you know how busy they are.  And colleges are not alone.  I do some work for a large global company in my city and I am sure most of the folks there feel like they are very busy.  And so it was that I began to think about busyness.
   
When I think about how I talk about being busy or ponder other people describing their busyness, two things seem to me to be at stake.  Mind you, this is not a scientific study, but it is my impression and my judgment of what is going on.  In this first place, I think the claim that “I am so busy” is often a claim rooted in my ego.  It is as if busyness is an issue of identity.  To be busy is to be important or, at least, needed.  Being busy is a kind of badge of worth.  If I am busy, then I am worth something---or worth a lot.  The implication is if someone is not busy, he or she is worth less.  In fact, this can be a way of judging someone to be worthless.  Shakespeare might have quipped, to be is to be busy!
   
My other perspective on busyness is it comes as a form of complaint.  It is easy to hear the voice tone when someone laments, “Ohhh, I am so busy.”  Often there are facial expression to augment the tonal disgust.  When busyness is articulated as a complaint, it is usually someone else’s fault.  When students make this complaint, the faculty are at fault.  But listen to the faculty is to hear even more grumpy people.  And we have so many to blame.  It is the students.  It is the administration.  It is the committees.  It is as if everyone and everything in the institution conspires to make faculty life miserable by condemning us to a busy existence. 

I suspect this is true in other organizations.  I have heard it in hospital settings and in the corporate world.  Oddly enough, I have often heard from retirees that they are “sooo busy.”  Again, that retired person may be investing too much ego in the fact that even though they no longer are in the working world, they are still busy, which makes the somebody---instead of a nobody.  Or like, the working world, the retired person may be complaining.

The devilish aspect of this claim of busyness is people seldom do anything about it.  Of course, it might well be people feel powerless to do anything about it.  To be busy often feels like a sentence we have been ordered to serve.  Being busy is like doing jail time.  We are in bondage---either to our own ego or to someone else’s demands on our lives. 

If this is a fair description, the question comes to be: what can we or what will we do about it?  It is at this point I would say busyness is often a spiritual issue.  I can be bold at this point and suggest the spiritual life is not intentionally meant to be busy.  For sure, I am willing to allow there probably will be seasons in our lives where being busy may be unavoidable.  But being busy is not inherently spiritual.  In fact, being busy should raise a spiritual flag.

I want to make one more move in this analysis.  I think a key point in being spiritual is recognizing it is almost always about meaning.  I am sure for myself the spiritual journey is designed to be a journey of making meaning and sense out of life.  Meaning typically gets hooked to some sense of purpose.  A meaningful life is normally a purposeful life.  Of course, some things I might choose for my purpose, i.e. simply to have pleasure, may not be spiritual nor have long-term meaning.

When I return to the issue of busyness, I am confident being busy does not automatically link to meaning or tie in with purpose.  Often being busy interferes with meaning making in my life.  If I am too busy, I usually am too busy to think much about whether it is meaningful and actually worth doing.  Being busy frequently blunts my awareness and inhibits any reflection on deeper, more purposeful living.  And I would go further and suggest that some of us choose to be busy in order not to have to think about meaning and purpose.    It is actually fairly easy to become “too busy.”  Reflecting on our lives and arriving at some sense of what is our purpose and how to make meaning is not always easy.

In a sneaky way I have already offered the antidote to busyness by introducing the twin issues of meaning and purpose.  They are not either or categories: either I am busy or I have meaning and purpose.  It is not that simple.  I suggest if we can come to have a sense of purpose for ourselves and our lives, we probably will have a sense of meaning emerge at the same time.  If we have meaning and purpose, then we can deal creatively with our busyness.

We might decide to become less busy.  This might mean doing less.  Or it might mean framing our busyness and what we want to do and see it in a positive light.  The more we can come to see busyness as our choice and something potentially tied to meaning, the less like a sentence it will feel.

Busyness is not the goal of life.  Having a sense of meaning with a cherished purpose usually come with the spiritual adventure called life.  That’s the goal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri