Skip to main content

Religion of Evolution

I have been working my way through Ilia Delio’s book, The Unbearable Wholeness of Being.  It is not an easy book and challenges the belief with which I grew up.  But it is very rewarding and pulls me into thinking about God, myself and the world in fresh ways.  Delio is a Franciscan Sister who is Senior Fellow in Science and Religion with the Woodstock Theological Center at Georgetown University.  She is a trained scientist, a theologian and a Catholic Sister.  What a combination!
Many people would simply not read her.  Too many folks I know still are simply religious, but give no truck to science.  In fact, they are not even interested in science.  Of course, I am sure they hope their personal physician paid attention to the science they were learning in order to make it through medical school!  People like this, I am afraid, do know understand the world in which they live. 

It is ok not to understand the world in which we live.  I am convinced I don’t understand that much.  But I think it is important.  Let me explain.  Stated simply, I think my world has to correlate with the God in whom I believe.  It seems clear to me that I cannot read the Genesis creation account in a literal sense.  There is nothing about the way scientists talk about the world that suggests it happened in seven days.  Most reputable scientists adhere to some form of evolution to explain a world---our world---that is some 13 billion years old.  

And so Delio is helping me tie together the world as scientists understand it and a view of God that makes sense with this picture of the world.  I appreciate this process.  Even as a kid, it did not make much sense to sense a God “up there.”  I am sure it made sense when I was three or four, but when you send men to the moon, “up there” takes on a different sense.  And now we know there are many universe---galaxies beyond galaxies and soon my mind is blown!

About half way through Delio’s book, I found a nugget that helps me put together a picture of God and the world.  She says, “Christianity is a religion of evolution in that it anticipates a new creation that is not individual but communal, the unity of all persons and creation in God.” (123)  I very much appreciate the way she describes my own tradition: Christianity is a religion of evolution.  This can be a tenet of belief for me, even if I do not know everything there is to know about that.

For sure, I am a kindergartner in my understanding of evolution and its scientific process, etc.  But I also do not know much about how the motor in my car works, but I have no trouble having faith it does and taking off to some place down the road.  I trust the world is evolving---whether I understand it or not!  And I think God has a hand in that process---whether I understand it or not!

Let’s follow Delio’s argument in that one sentence I quoted.  Christianity as a religion of evolution anticipates a new creation.  That sounds much like the end of the New Testament book of Revelation.  There heaven is portrayed as a new creation.  I sense that Delio is saying that new creation is evolving.  God is part of the process and so are we.  In this way we truly are co-creators.  That is exciting to me.  Talk about having something to do!

Delio's next point might be a little threatening.  She says the new creation coming to be is not individual but communal.  There probably are ways I can misunderstand this, but I am confident she means that the new creation is not about me---at least not solely about “just me” in a self-centered way.  Rather, the new creation is about us.  But the good news is I am not discounted; instead, I am counted in.  I am included in the community.  I think her vision of this evolutionary, creative, communal process is big.  

The aim of all this new creating is the unity of all persons.  Furthermore, it is the unity of all creation in God.  I am intrigued by two little words that make a big difference.  In the first place she talks about the unity of all persons.  This might make some people mad; others will be disappointed.  Some of our religions don’t want everyone to be included.  Some of us truly want some others to “get what’s coming.”  

From God’s perspective, we are all going to “get what’s coming.”  This is truly where our view of God is at stake.  If I were God, some people would really be in trouble.  But then, I find it hard to love all people.  However, I am willing to understand God is bigger and better than I am!  I can imagine somehow in faith God can pull it off.

The second little word I liked was Delio’s note that the unity of all persons is accompanied by the unity of creation in God.  This means religion is not just a human thing.  It is human and cosmic---the world is included in the evolution of religion.  Obviously, this has tremendous implications.  It argues that we care for our world, just as we are to care for each other.  I know I have much to learn and to put in action on this point.

I appreciate what Ilia Delio is offering me.  She offers me a way to understand religion as evolution and invites me into the process of a new creation.  It’s exciting.
 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri