Skip to main content

In Consideration of Commitments

I read everything David Brooks publishes.  I appreciate his way of seeing things and how he articulates his thoughts.  I use him as a backdrop for a number of these spiritual reflections because much of what he chooses to address is spiritual in nature.  Reading and thinking along with him helps me to understand the world and figure out what I want to do with it. 
   
Recently he had a piece entitled, “The Golden Age of Bailing.”  I was not sure what issue he was taking on in this one.  But as I got into the piece, I realized how much I wanted to get his analysis of this issue.  His first sentence was engaging, but I still did not know where he was going.  “It’s clear we’re living in a golden age of bailing.”  Soon it became clear Brooks was using the language of “bailing,” to describe what I might more typically describe as “commitment.”
   
His second paragraph is very clear and a graphic indictment of our contemporary culture.  It made me sit up and take notice.  For example, it cannot be more clear than when Brooks claims, “Bailing is one of the defining acts of the current moment…”  Then Brooks offers some detailed evidence for his claim.  Bailing is a defining act “because it stands at the nexus of so many larger trends: the ambiguity of modern social relationships, the fraying of commitments, what my friend Hayley Darden calls the ethic of flexibility ushered in by smartphone apps — not to mention the decline of civilization, the collapse of morality and the ruination of all we hold dear.” 
   
That is a boatload of details to wail against bailing---or commitment, as I call it.  I am intrigued by Brooks’ describing the ambiguity of social relationships.  I think he is correct.  For example, I think of the utter ease folks talk about 500 Facebook friends.  I teach a class on spiritual friendship and know for certain if you use Aristotle’s definition of friendship or virtually anyone from the long theological and philosophical tradition, it simply is not possible to have 500 friends---or 50 for that matter.  You can have two or three deep and meaningful friends. 
   
Again, I think Brooks is absolutely right when he talks about fraying of commitments.  Another way of saying this is to describe many commitments as rather superficial, which makes them fragile.  They do not stand the test of time or the pressure of many situations.  Many commitments are not really commitments.  They are more like relationships of convenience.  When they are inconvenient, they are no longer useful.  And if they are not useful, why would you keep it?  These are not so much commitment as relationships of utility.
   
It is not fair to blame the smartphone and all its apps, but that offer possibilities never before seen.  I do think smartphones and all they provide are wonderful avenues to a world of superficiality.  They tempt us to live in temporary time.  We temporarily spend time as long as it is interesting or entertaining or it serves the purpose.  And then, we’re outta here!
   
Brooks’ analysis of why things are this way offer food for thought.  He states, “Bailing begins with a certain psychological malady, with a person who has an ephemeral enthusiasm for other people but a limited self-knowledge about his or her own future desires.”  His word, ephemeral, comes close to what I call commitment.  In fact, if we are ephemeral, it is probably impossible to make and keep commitments the way I understand them.  I also find it interesting that he ties this to our sense of our own future desires.  I think he is correct.
   
He makes me realize commitment is something we make in the present, but it has future implications.  If I make a commitment to you, you would rightly expect that commitment would still be in place tomorrow.  I don’t decide each morning whether I am going to re-up my commitments for the day.  In a sense a commitment is a promise.  And a promise is only worth something if it is kept.
   
Brooks finally gets to the connection of commitment and friends at the end of his piece.  He has a nice phrase that notes, “friendship is about being adhesive.”  That is a clever way of saying commitments should stick.  Commitments and friendships are sticky relationships.  I like that!  Whenever I think about friendships and commitments, I always recall the words of Jesus late in John’s Gospel.  I like it when he turns to his disciples that evening at the Last Supper and tells them the secret.
   
Jesus says, “I do not call you servants any longer…but I have called you friends…” (15:15)  Indeed for me, the whole understanding of Christian discipleship is a meditation on friendship.  And I know the classical languages tell me that our word, friend, is nothing more than a word for “love.”  All friends are people of love and in love.  It is not erotic, but neither should it be erratic.  And that is what bailing is: it is erratic love and that makes a lousy friendship and relationship.
   
People who bail simply cannot be counted on.  I am glad for David Brooks making me think about this again.  But finally, it is more than thinking and knowing.  Bailing is an action---and so is commitment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri