Skip to main content

Freedom

Much will be made this week around the theme of “freedom.”  It would be difficult to imagine any American, or any person from any country for that matter, who is not “for freedom.”  Can you imagine anyone saying, “No, actually I prefer bondage?”  However, it is true that some folks in this country are not really free.  There still exists some bondage in race terms, in gender terms, in economic terms, and even others.  

Yet over this week, stories will abound about independence.  Probably we will hear again that the British were unfair to our forbearers in the 18th century and so Americans did what Americans always will do: fight!  I have been in Independence Hall in Philadelphia more than once.  It is an impressive building and the history of the place is almost palpable.  It is easy for my mind to try to imagine those days of drama as those guys discussed why and how the American colonies needed to move forward independently from the British.  Truly, the Constitution is a wonderfully amazing document which has served us well for over two hundred years.

One can do no better than cite Lincoln’s eloquence when he describes this country as a “new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.”  All citizens in this country are free.  At one level that is true.  Politically, we are all free to do what we want within the bounds of legality.  But once we say this, we realize freedom is a more complicated concept than it seems on the surface.  For example, we just acknowledged there are some boundaries to our freedom when we said we are free to do what we want as long as it is legal.

Of course, you and I are free to do things that are illegal.  Drug dealers do this daily!  But to do illegal things puts us in jeopardy.  If we are caught, that is the end of freedom.  If we are jailed, we may still have some freedoms, but walking out of the jail is not one of those freedoms.  Captivity has replaced freedom.  And no one really cares how we feel about it!

As a corollary to political and individual freedom, let’s consider the spiritual freedom about which Jesus speaks.  Spiritual freedom necessarily takes into account that we now are no longer just talking about us.  God also is now in the picture.  In fact, spiritual folks probably would go so far as to say it is God’s picture and we are in the picture---individually and as a group.  In this interpretation Americans are nothing more than one group in a much larger group in God’s picture of the world.

A second thing that is in the picture (since God is now in the mix) is God’s desire (often referred to as God’s will).  This is a huge addition to the freedom equation.  Now there are two wills: God’s will and my own individual will (and even a third if we add the community’s will).  Of course, I can still understand freedom as the freedom to do whatever I want.  In spiritual terms, this kind of individual freedom to do what I want inevitably leads to sin: doing what I want instead of what God wants.  

This leads to the crux of spiritual freedom.  It is paradoxical.  Spiritual freedom says I want to do what God wants me to do.  Obedience is a deeper form of freedom than my individual desires.  Obedience is not bondage because I am willing God’s will for me.  The spiritual person is the most radically free person.

It is radical freedom because there is no impulse to selfishness, no protectionist tendency, no manipulative motivation.  Lord, make me this free!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri