Skip to main content

Hate Group vs. Love Group

“1,000 hate groups active in U.S” was the headline in the CNN online news!  “Wow, that’s reassuring”, I cynically thought to myself.  Really I find that appalling.  It is not surprising…and that’s also appalling!  Not only do I find that sad, I find it even sadder that according to the news article, these kinds of groups are experiencing resurgence. 

How in the world would we know there are 1,000 of these groups?  The Southern Poverty Law Center apparently is carefully tracking these kinds of hate groups.  The article also quotes Jack Levin, a sociology and criminology professor at Northeastern University in Boston.  Clearly there are people who have become experts in this kind of movement.  That is not surprising. 

I don’t know the precise definition of a hate group, but it is fairly easy to guess.  Obviously a hate group would be a few people who hate another group of people.  Surely, a hate group has to have it “in” for more than a single individual.  Nobody can have lived in the last half of the 20th century and not know about anti-Semitism and Hitler.  The Nazis were a very well organized hate group that killed millions of Jews.  The African-American population in our land knows a thing or two about racism.  

It also seems obvious to me that a hate group has a clear sense of the “other” whom they despise and hate.  Doubtlessly, that “other” is stereotyped.  What may be lost on some of us is the fact that stereotyping the “other” is also self-definitional for who we are.  If I see the “other” as lesser or greedy or whatever, then I am by definition more and not greedy.  The imperfection of the “other” is a backdrop for my perfection. 

I was intrigued how a hate group forms and recruits new members.  I am so naïve that I would not have a clue where to go or how to join a hate group, even if I wanted to do so!  But in this day and age, probably all one has to do is go to Google and type in “hate group” and the group of your choice would pop up!  Apparently, according to Levin, music---especially far-right music---is a great recruitment tool for the young folks.  Again, I am naïve.  I would not have a clue what far-right music is!  Again, I found a quick, little Google check revealed some examples of such music. 

Now I am provoked to think.  Hate groups are a given.  Are love groups also a given?  Google is not always the ultimate answer, but it does give us a glimpse into the culture we live.  Type in “love groups” and Google references mostly links to friendship groups and links that have to do with love, relationships, and married couples.  That’s certainly not bad, but it is not the direct alternative of hate groups. 

I wonder if it is not time to imagine how churches, synagogues, and other such gatherings of religiously sensitive and active people might not form love groups capable of contending with the hate spread by the other groups?  What if these kinds of love groups became more active in the world and tried to love their way to change---change for the better?  These love groups could engage economic, political, and social issues in such a way to change conditions for the better. 

What if I became a part of a love group and began to work in the world to eradicate the kinds of conditions that feed hate groups?  I could do it.  That is true.  Could I do it is not the real question.  The real question is, would I do it?  That calls for a commitment and an honesty about my own situation and desire to follow what probably is God’s desire for me. 

I can’t imagine God asking us to join a hate group and learning to hate with gusto!  But people have joined hate groups and then hated with gusto.  That leads to violence, murder and mayhem.  What would be the love group alternative?  It’s fairly simple, I think.  But it is not easy. 

A love group would be folks who are driven by concern for justice, fairness, and service.  Love groups would be willing to share and, even, sacrifice.  They probably would look and act quite a bit like Jesus and the Buddha and the other spiritual luminaries of history.  They would be ordinary people doing extraordinary things. 

Most of us can’t jump big time into a love group.  But we probably could imagine beginning in small ways in our own little world.  I could do that.  For example, I could refrain from gossip and put downs of others.  Instead I could find some kindness to offer and encouragement to build up.  I could be more forgiving.   

I think if I start doing this, I probably will find others doing it too.  This can become my love group.  Likely we won’t organize as effectively as the hate group, but we can become bigger, more effective, and ultimately more successful.  I’m ready to go.  Hope you come, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri