Skip to main content

Need for Courage

I have begun to receive a new journal of spirituality. I thought it could be quite helpful, but it turns out to be mediocre at best. Now that may seem like an odd comment on spirituality. After all, how does one determine that a spirituality is “good” or “bad” or just mediocre? Either I do not know or I know it would take an entire book to answer that question. Since I have no interest in writing that book, let me simply say that my judgment is doubtlessly subjective.

And I would hasten to add, I do not think the spirituality represented in the journal is mediocre. In fact, I am not sure spiritualities can be good, bad or mediocre. I think they can be more or less meaningful to a variety of people. I actually said I thought the journal was mediocre. And I feel like there is some basis for that kind of judgment. A journal could be good or bad based on things like writing style, cogency of argument, perceptive development of ideas, etc. I find this new journal fairly mediocre because it seems to me that the spirituality presented is superficial.

That’s nothing new in our society, I would contend. Much of religious language, exhortation, and presentation is superficial. Let me explain. Let’s take the sentence, “we should love everybody,” as an example. I understand that sentence. I agree with it and I could tell you I agree with it. We could both walk away assuming way too much about me. For one thing, just because I believe it does not mean I do it. Maybe I even plan to do it in the future, but not now!

If we agree that we should love everybody but spend no time taking that to some detail, we have opted for the superficial. If I tell you that we should love everybody, you could ask me how I practice this? That forces me to begin to be specific and to develop my answer with some depth. This is what I am finding missing in the new journal. (I admit I have only read two issues, but how long does one hang on with a new project before saying it really is not worth the money or time?)

It is not a total loss, however. Perhaps that is like most things in life. Normally, things are not a total waste in life. The question more normally is whether something is worth the time and the money. That’s where I am with respect to the journal.

In the most recent issue, I did find one little article a bit helpful. Without going into much detail about the article itself, I can simply say the author was addressing the inward heart of people---that place where we encounter the Divinity. Thomas Merton normally called this the “true self.” Quakers traditionally talk about the “Inner Light” or the “Light Within.” I find this focus very interesting. I want to know what that “place” is? I want to know “how” to get there? I am curious how we “meet” God there? I understand that much of this is metaphorical. This means we talk around it and talk about it, but we can never nail it like you can in science.

This is where the author offered a helpful comment to me. She said, “Discipline and fortitude have always been required to persevere on the journey to the innermost chamber of the self. Saint Teresa (of Avila) is blunt: ‘I tell you there is more need for courage than you think.’” Indeed, this is helpful, but it is not at all developed. I want to say, “Yes, that’s true; courage is more needed than we think. But how do we muster more courage?” The article is silent to these queries.

If I want to begin or continue the journey to the innermost chamber of the self---and I do want to---then how can we muster more courage than we thought we might need? I offer some quick observations.

Most obviously, we should first ask God to “en-courage” us---to put courage into our hearts. Seems simple, but so many folks try going it alone! Secondly, I think we are better off hanging out with spiritually courageous people. Saints are preferable! I am convinced I am more courageous when I am with people of courage. Thirdly, we should spend regular time growing in courage. Why would we think our measure of courage is given once and for all and is, therefore, static? I submit we can grow to be more courageous.

All of these observations begin the process of adding a little depth to the fairly superficial note that we will need more courage than we thought. Of course, my observations now need to be pushed even further. For example, how do we ask God to encourage us? To answer this takes us even more deeply.

All of this is another argument for community. I figure if I can be part of a vital faith community, then I can be led and forced to go beyond the superficial. And that will enable me to grow in the Spirit and more likely to go further on that journey to the innermost chamber of the self.

Not only do I need more courage, but also I think I have a clue how to get some!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri