Skip to main content

Mystery of Truth

The phrase, mystery of truth, is found in the last line of a recent article by David Brooks, one of my favorite commentators on the life and times of our world.  While I don’t always find myself in agreement with Brooks, I find him to be a trenchant observer of human nature and behavior.  He writes clearly and with tremendous insight.  Often he frames things in a way that gives us a new, clear way to think about a problem and come up with plausible solutions.  I think about him as an intellectual helpmate.         

His recent article is entitled, “The Benedict Option.”  The article was replete with an image of St. Benedict, a picture I immediately recognized and to which I was drawn.  I know a fair amount about this founding father of Benedictine monasticism.  Benedict was an Italian Catholic living in sixth century post-Roman Empire Europe.  When I was in school, this was referred to as the “Dark Ages.”  Although this is not a very useful description today, it does convey the times were different than the “good ole days” of the Roman Empire at its zenith.  Seeing Benedict’s life in this period helps explain why he withdrew and began to live the Christian life in common with other folks.  From this the monastic movement, as we know it, was birthed and continues to this day.         

So whatever Brooks was up to implicated St. Benedict.  Half way through the article Brooks references a new book by Rod Dreher which carries the title, The Benedict Option, which Brook calls the most important book of the decade---high praise indeed.  As it turns out, Dreher despairs of our times and culture in America and calls for folks, like St. Benedict, to opt out so they can live faithfully.  Brooks argues for another response.         

Brooks offers an interesting dual way of looking at our world.  His first line reveals these two options: “Faith seems to come in two personalities, the purist and the ironist.”  Quickly, I knew where he was going.  Brooks gives us a clear sense of both options.  He tells us, “Purists believe that everything in the world is part of a harmonious whole.  All questions point ultimately to a single answer.  If we orient our lives toward this pure ideal, and get everybody else to, we will move gradually toward perfection.”  In effect, this is the Benedict option.         

Brooks describes the other option, the ironist, in these words.  “The ironists believe that this harmony may be available in the next world but not, unfortunately, in this one…For the ironist, ultimate truth exists, but day-to-day life is often about balance and trade-offs.  There is no unified, all-encompassing system for correct living.”  This option probably makes sense to many of us, because that is likely the way we are dealing with our times and culture.         

Brooks develops his own version of this ironist option.  As usual, he puts it forth with a clarity and creativity, we are able to think about it and make up our own mind.  Brooks says, “The right response to the moment is not the Benedict Option, it is Orthodox Pluralism.  It is to surrender to some orthodoxy that will overthrow the superficial obsessions of the self and put one’s life in contact with a transcendent ideal.”  I like his descriptor, Orthodox Pluralism.  A pluralist perspective notes the diversity of our culture and tries to come to terms with it, rather than dismiss it.  I find that attractive, but certainly not easy.         

I know enough Christian history to know both options---purist and ironist---has been tried.  My own Quaker tradition historically has been the ironist.  The Amish are good examples of the purist---enacting the Benedict Option without becoming monks.  They simply withdrew and farmed or were carpenters making furniture!  One could argue they are naïve.  And of course, the purist could say the other option if foolhardy!         

To put the options very simply, the purist basically gives up on the world.  The ironist opts to stay in the world, but to work to transform it.  It would be easy to dismiss the ironist as idealistic.  Brooks counters this charge.  He notes, “it is also to reject the notion that that ideal can be easily translated into a pure, homogenized path.”  I agree with him; it is difficult, but not impossible.  I would argue it is to align ourselves with a way of love that ultimately can lead to peacemaking.  Not easy, but possible.  In my lifetime?  Probably not.        

I like the method Brooks outlines.  He says this transforming work is “to throw oneself more deeply into friendship with complexity, with different believers and atheists, liberals and conservatives, the dissimilar and unalike.”  Friendship is a form of love---probably the most frequent form of love.  I suggest we see the call is to learn to love.  Make friends.  To make friends is to make peace.         

I like the way Brooks ends his article.  To involve ourselves in this loving peace work, we will need to “humbly accept the mystery of truth.”  For sure, it is a work of humility.  How can you be arrogant enough to know for sure you can bring peace?  Just as importantly, it means accepting the “mystery of truth.”  This is something a purist cannot do.  Oddly, this is a bet on who God is and how God works.  I do believe God deals in truth, but it is a truth that can be mysterious.  I need to be careful about being sure I know this truth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri