Skip to main content

To See is to Live

The title of this inspirational piece is close to the old saying, “to see is to believe.”  There certainly is some truth to this old saying, but that is not quite what I want to give focus.  Obviously, believing can be very important.  And not believing might be even more important.  For example, the people today who do not believe there is a climate challenge are sadly off base.  I trust the scientists and, sometimes, I trust my own eyes when I am in a place like Shanghai, Los Angeles or almost any big city on a truly smoggy, bad-air day.
           
The title of this inspirational message, however, refers to a one-liner I recently encountered again in a reading of Richard Rohr’s book, Everything Belongs.  Rohr is a favorite author for me and that means I return to his writings from time to time.  His truths speak to me every time I look at one of his books.  I had occasion again to read the second chapter of Rohr’s book and that’s when I bumped into this sentence.  “Spirituality is about seeing.”
           
I could be cute and say that reading that sentence opened my eyes!  I don’t want to be cute, but in some real way that sentence does open our eyes.  I think it is true.  Hopefully, my reflections on that passage makes its truth come to be more obvious and clearer.  It seems certain to me that the passage cannot be read at the literal level.  If spirituality is about seeing---literally speaking---then blind people are literally in trouble.  That would mean they never could see!  At the literal level, that is true.  But at the metaphorical level that obviously is not at all true.
           
When Rohr says that spirituality is about seeing, we necessarily move to the non-literal level.  Early on in elementary school we learn the phrase, “I see.”  Seldom does this refer to literal seeing.  It means we understand the math problem or the science experiment.  It references a move from ignorance to some level of knowledge.  Often we use this phrase to express the insight we just gained.  Notice that word, “in-sight.”
           
To have insight means we are able to “look in” something and see things that may have been hidden.  Insight is a form of knowing and understanding.  It is the springboard to wisdom.  We can never have wisdom without insight.  And spirituality is the process of gaining this kind of insight, knowledge and wisdom into the way we are living our lives.  I realize it is fully possible to live without gaining any insight.  It is possible to live life only at the literal seeing level.  This is where Rohr’s further words are helpful to us.
           
Immediately after the initial sentence about seeing leads to living, he adds, “It’s not about earning or achieving.”  I wince a little when reading this sentence.  So much of American culture is a rewards-based culture.  Work hard and reap the benefits.  Study hard and you will succeed.  Take care of yourself and you will live a long and happy life.  Indeed, there are many more of these kinds of platitudes that govern our lives.  Of course, most of them contain partial truths and are worthy of being heeded.  But life comes with virtually no guarantees.
           
True “seeing” gives us the clues to authentic living.  With this kind of seeing, we are able to live lives of meaning and purpose.  Our lives have a point and are worthwhile.  We don’t feel like we have wasted or been wasted by life.  There is a reason to get out of bed, embrace the day and live fully.  We all know people who manage to pull off this kind of life.  Too often, it only elicits jealousy.  We find reasons to be dismissive of these kinds of folks.  They are lucky or privileged in some ways we aren’t.  We complain about our own fortunes. 
           
Instead of figuring out how we can come to “see,” we may sulk and grump that life sucks.  Complaining usually means I don’t see.  And hearing this likely makes me mad or even more grumpy!  Rohr adds another helpful thought.  Spirituality is about seeing, not earning or achieving.  He nails it for me when he comments, “It is about relationship rather than results or requirements.”  I could nod my head to this notion, but realize it flies in the face of what I heard---either explicitly or implicitly while growing up in the church.
           
I am not sure it is fair, but my memory tells me the spirituality I heard while growing up had a great deal to deal with earning and achieving.  In this the religious message seemed all too like the school message.  Work hard.  Be obedient.  Be a good boy.  Don’t rock the boat.  These kinds of phrases and more tumble out of my mind.  None of them are bad in their own right.  But I am not sure they helped me orient myself in such a way to “see” and to begin to gain some insight.
           
I am confident my growing up years worried too much about believing and not enough about living.  Of course, they wanted me to live rightly.  But this often meant following rules and standards, which often looked too much like cultural norms rather than spiritual truths.  Rohr and people like him helped me get radical.  I did not get radical like some of the others in the 1960s.
           
I wanted to get radical in the deeper meaning of that word: getting to the root of things.  For me that meant getting back to the radical message of Jesus and the women and men of my early Quaker tradition.  They could teach me again about life, not just doctrine.  I am still learning to see that I might live.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri