Skip to main content

Save Me: Give Me Some Space

Recently I have been giving thought to the idea of “the sacred.”  Not long ago we had a visitor who led us into thinking about nature as sacred space.  I find that intriguing.  Since the majority of Americans are now urban or suburbanites, I don’t think we give nearly as much consideration to nature and our natural world as in the old agrarian days.  Having grown up on a farm, I know I am much less aware of and observant of my natural world.

Most of us probably don’t live very close to nature.  Of course, we are all in nature, but it often is not “natural.”  If I am honest, I leave my house and jump in the car.  If it is cold outside, the windows are up and the heater is on full blast.  Most of the time the radio is playing some kind of music.  If it is hot, the windows are up and the air-conditioner is on full blast and the radio is playing some kind of music.

I arrive at the building where I have a pleasant study and where I teach my classes.  Most of my day is spent there.  Seldom are the windows open.  It can be sunny or cloudy and normally I am not very aware.  A good thunderstorm might catch my attention.  And then I go home in that same car with the windows up and the radio playing some kind of music.  And days repeat days.

The opposite of sacred is profane.  Think about the role of profanity in our vocabulary.  It contradicts the language of the sacred and holy.  How often have you heard someone lately  “bless” you?  More often, there is just the opposite.  We are “cursed!”  My interaction with nature is not profane.  It is “secular.”  Secular is the land between the sacred and the profane.  Being unaware is the most normal way we deal secularly with nature.

Obviously you and I exist in nature.  We occupy space.  But again most, if not all, of my space is not sacred.  I have a house, a car and that’s about it.  I don’t own any land.  So actually my physical space is pretty limited.  And I am not unusual.  Think about the ten million (or more) inhabitants of New York City.  They may have less than I do!

But let’s think about space in a different way than physically.  We can deal with it psychologically.  I have heard people ask to be “given space.”  If I am feeling pressured, I ask for some space.  Space is different from place.  Actually, my house is a place.  It has an address.  But is also contains space. 

So it is with me as a human being.  I occupy a place.  Right now, I am sitting in a chair while I type this.  But I also contain space.  And it is in this vein of thinking that I begin to ponder the relationship of space and spirituality.  I am convinced there are a connection and a relationship.

To help develop that connection, listen to the words of Gerald May, the late psychiatrist who was associated with a center for spirituality.  May says, “When you think about it, it makes sense that space would be intimately associated with salvation.”  With this quotation May is even more specific than my idea of connecting space with spirituality.  May boldly says space is associated with salvation---intimately associated.  Let’s follow his lead.

May elaborates by noting, “Space is freedom: freedom from confinement, from pre-occupation, from oppression, from drivenness, and from all the other interior and exterior forces that bind and restrict our spirits.”  Space is freedom.  I am sure this is also true for salvation.  I like how May defines freedom.  He uses terms that make sense for modern men and women who may be less free than we think.  No wonder we long to be saved---to be free. 

At first glance, I assume I am free.  But when I use May’s terms, I may be more confined than I realize.  Have I ever been pre-occupied?  Of course I have.  And I might live much of my life pre-occupied by various things.  Pre-occupation is not freedom and I need to be saved!  Have I ever been oppressed?  I have not been oppressed by people with knives and guns.  But I have been oppressed by a variety of other factors.  I need to be saved.

I know all-too-well the bondage of drivenness.  It is not a universal axiom, but I would guess most people who are relatively successful are driven in some way.  And too often, those who are not relatively successful are driven to be successful.  Again I need to be saved.

Save me: I need some space.  To be saved spiritually means I need space, not confinement.  I need space, not to be pre-occupied.  I need space, not oppression.  I need space, especially when it comes to my drivenness.

Ah, the grace of space…thank God!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri