Skip to main content

Soul Holes

My friend gave me a new book.  I am not sure what prompted the gift, but that is why it is so special.  A gift means being given something you did not earn and do not necessarily deserve.  That surely is the case in the gift of my new book.  In fact I am glad I don’t know why he gave it to me.  It surely is special.  The gift is special and that makes the book special---even before I read the first page. 
           
I was eager to jump into the book.  The author, Ann Voskamp, is a Mennonite farmer along with her husband in Canada.  That helps me appreciate it.  I like the Mennonites.  I see them as cousins to Quakers, but I sense they usually are more serious and more deeply spiritual than many of us Quakers, so I have deep respect for Ann Voskamp for this reason.  I don’t know why I have not heard about her or read her. 
           
The book, One Thousand Gifts, has sold over a million copies!  So unless she has given a great deal of money away, Ann Voskamp is one rich Mennonite.  But I can’t imagine this would mess up her faith.  In my mind she has to be a simple, pious, winsome Mennonite woman.  She is a woman of faith.  As I began this first story in her book, this seemed more true than ever.
           
The first chapter is entitled, “An Emptier, Fuller Life.”  I liked the paradox of that.  The story turned out to have a raw poignancy.  She tells the story of her own birth and being named, Ann---meaning according to her, “full of grace.”  Within a page or two we hear about her younger sister, Aimee, who was killed by a delivery truck in her own farm lane.  That was the moment, ironically, that Ann and her family “snapped shut to grace”---grace being the meaning of Ann’s name.  Now the first half of the chapter title made sense.
           
However, it was a later paragraph in that chapter that grabbed my attention.  Basically, Ann Voskamp asks the question: is that all there is to life?  In effect she says no and invites us into her theological thinking.  She says, “But from the Garden beginning, God has a different purpose for us.  His intent, since he bent low and breathed His life into the dust of our lungs, since he kissed us into being, has never been to slyly orchestrate our ruin.”  I very much like the way she is easing us into a commentary on those early chapters of Genesis.  I eagerly read on.
           
“I open a Bible, and His plans, startlingly, lie there barefaced…His love letter forever silences any doubts…”  Voskamp then turns to a quotation from I Corinthians 2:7, quoting from the NEB: “His secret purpose framed from the very beginning (is) to bring us to our full glory.”  Ah, here is the second half of the chapter title.  I rush on in her text.
           
Voskamp claims that God “means to rename us---to return us to our true names, our truest selves.  He means to heal our soul holes.”  For some reason that short phrase, “soul holes,” jumps off the page, slamming through my eyes straight to my heart.  It is a wonderfully powerful way to describe the tragedy of Genesis’ Fall---chapter 3 when Adam and Eve decide to take a bite and all the vicissitudes of their problems and our problems are set in motion.  Our souls were wounded---we all have soul holes.  That’s now the given.  The only question is whether there can be anything else?
           
This is precisely the issue Voskamp addresses.  There can be something different.  Again follow me through quoting her words.  Reassuringly, Ann says, “From the very beginning, that Eden beginning, that has always been and always is, to this day, His secret purpose---to return to our full glory.  Appalling---that He would!  Us, unworthy.”

She finishes that paragraph with theological flair.  “And yet since we took a bite out of the fruit and tore into our own souls, that drain hole where joy seeps away, God had this wild secretive plan.  He means to fill us with glory again.  With glory and grace.”
           
The beauty of her words and the power of her faith and conviction of her theology leave me nearly breathless.  Can it be true?  In faith, yes.  Can it be proved?  Of course not.  But it impresses me as a powerful faith answer to a dead, little body of a girl---a sister---in a farm lane.  That was fact; faith has to do with coping and healing those kinds of facts of life.
           
It seems factual to me that most of us know about our own “soul holes.”  We know about the emptying of life that comes when our soul holes drain us of hope and joy.  Our lives are littered by disappointments and disasters of life.  Voskamp helps us see that emptiness was not part of God’s hopes and plans for the human race.  Instead God’s secretive purpose is to bring us to glory again---to fill us with glory. 
           
I am so thankful for my two gifts: the gift of this book and the gift of the book’s theology of glory.

Comments

  1. I have just purchased this book and I agree with you. The message is deep, transformational, and poignant. A must read.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri