Skip to main content

The Day’s First Sounds

One of the things I most like about being in a monastery setting is the fact that it becomes so much easier to be devotionally involved.  I did not grow up knowing anything about monasteries or monks.  I suppose the best that could be said is that I had an ignorant, stereotyped view of what a monk would be.

Probably high on that stereotyped view would be a man (or woman) who did not have much else going for himself (herself) in the world, so opted out.  It does not get any worse because I was so ignorant I could not formulate any more opinion.  Basically, I was just dismissive.  For sure, monks and monasticism were dismissed as having anything to do with me and essentially irrelevant.

But how things change with a little openness, education, and common sense!  Not only do I see the point of monasticism now, but I also have an appreciation of how relevant it is to my own life.  Common sense now tells me that so many of us “normal” people out here in real life are squandering our lives on useless things---and doing it with little relevance to anything. 

Just as I used to laugh at monks and their monastic life, now I think they may have the last laugh!  What I do know is occasionally I like to hang out with them.  And routinely I try to live a little more “monastically.”  Essentially, this means for me trying to follow the daily lectionary.  All that means is that I try to follow the daily readings that guide the monk through his (her) day.

And I know all too well that on my own I do not do nearly as well.  Getting up in the morning and being thankful for a new day sounds pretty simple…and it is if you do it!  And on my own it is so easy to forget...to grab coffee and read the sports page instead of the morning prayers and readings.  But in this case, intending to do it and failing is better than not intending it at all.  So I intend it; and some mornings I actually pull it off.  So began my morning…not as early as it would have if I had been at a monastery. 

There the Morning Office, as it is called, would have had the monks singing this hymn:
     Our tongues’ first sound doth thee proclaim.
     Our minds to thee first kindle flame:
     Ensuing thence, O Holy One,
     Be all our acts in thee begun.
Since I was by myself, I simply read these words.  They would have been more meaningful with a group of monastics and if I had actually sung them.  Nevertheless, I could meditate on them.

The first line affirms that my mouth’s initial sound was a sound of praise of the Holy One.  That is such a different thought than the request for “a coffee and paper,” as my normal first uttered sound.  And secondly, our minds come alive with first thoughts of the Divine One.  All this early morning spirituality is to one end.

That single end of our devotions is that all our daily acts will be done in the spirit of the Spirit.  If I can put it in my own words, those early devotional intentions are an attempt to align my own will with the Divine Will.  But why would I bother to do this?  Or even want to do it?

The answer is quite simple.  I want my life to be guided by love and driven by justice.  I want to act compassionately and be a bringer of peace.  And on my own, I don’t do a very good job.  Often there is a disconnect between what I say I want and what I actually do.  I desire to be connected to the Spirit.

That way I have a chance.  And that’s why I need to pay attention to the day’s first sounds.

Comments

  1. Get the knowledge about your personality by giving simple answer about yourself. Find latest funny videos, inspirational news, entertainment videos and more about latest information from the world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri