Skip to main content

Spirituality à la John Polkinghorne

I suppose for every one of us there is some favorite people who help us understand things.  In the realm of religion John Polkinghorne is on of those folks for me.  He is a physicist and Anglican priest.  He is one of the foremost thinkers who can cross the science and religion boundaries.  Most of us are stuck on one side of that divide and have a difficult time relating to the other side. 

For example, evolutionists can scoff at a literalist interpretation of the Genesis texts of creation.  And there are firm believers in God and the Bible who will defend the “hands on” approach of the Creator God.  Basically, I am not an either/or thinker.  On this example, I find myself assuming that some version of evolution must be the way to explain how our universe came to be some 13 billion years ago.  Clearly, I cannot explain it.  But I do trust the scientists (even the atheists) to offer a viable explanation based on evidence.

But that does not dismiss or discount God.  And for me, it does not even discount some fashion of creativity my God brought (and brings) to the task.  But I reach my limit to be able to explain it all.  That is where John Polkinghorne comes in and I can say that he is so helpful.

Let’s listen to him develop some thoughts.  “I think both science and religion are concerned with the search for motivated belief.  They are not just plucking ideas out of the air but they have reasons from experience to support the ideas they believe to be true.  But the way they seek them is somewhat different.”  So far, so good.  I like that idea of searching for “motivated belief.”  That must be a key to a significant life…a life with meaning.  I want my belief to be motivated…to be animated.

Polkinghorne continues.  “Science is looking at the world as an object—as an ‘it’—which you can pull apart and do with what you want.  And with science you can repeat things. You can do the same experiment over and over again until you feel sure you understand what is going on. And that gives science a great secret weapon.”

This is what gives me confidence that scientists know what they affirm.  Of course, things change and so do their theories.  But it is not different with theologians.  As our experience changes, we can alter our theology…our way of describing God and God’s work.

And it is to experience that Polkinghorne turns when he discusses religion.  He says, “there are great swaths of human encounter with reality where you meet reality not just as an object but where there is a personal dimension.  Unlike with the scientific experiment, no personal experience is ever going to be exactly repeated.”  This human experience is the laboratory for spiritual exploration and explanation.  Our English friend tells us “the encounter between persons, even more the encounter with the personal reality of God, has to be based on trusting and not on testing.”

The key to spirituality is to cultivate experience.  This requires motivation just as much as the scientific researcher.  Why should my spiritual pilgrimage be any easier than the laborer in the laboratory  (notice the similarity of labor and laboratory).  Spirituality is not any different.  I need to “labor” at it, too.

But this is where many of us want the spiritual journey to be all grace.  We want a free ride.  We want the prize without the laboratory time!  We only want grace, but God says, “go…go to work.”  It comes down to motivation, just like the scientist who is motivated to find truth and meaning.  In this I want to join the scientist…in that search for truth and meaning.

Thanks John Polkinghorne…thanks for the invitation to gird up my spiritual loins and go to work.  It is spiritual work.  It can be fun.  And it surely will bring me to the prize---to truth and meaning.  Join me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri