Skip to main content

Monkish Attraction

A monkish attraction?  Some would definitely consider that to be sick!  But I admit that it is something I suffer…well not actually suffer, more like delight.  This is an acquired attraction.  Growing up in rural Indiana as a young Quaker I never heard about monks, certainly did not know any monks, and was completely free of any taint of monkish attraction.  But you know what they say: “when they leave the farm….”

I suppose I read something about monks when I took some European history class in college or, perhaps, high school.  But it made no impression.  The first clear memory of encountering monks in literature would have been a history of Christianity course in college.  But again, there was little or no impression. 

I am confident my vulnerability to this monkish attraction came with my own spiritual search.  In those transitional years of college, I began the move from interest in knowledge “about God” to knowledge “of God.”  I began the exploration of my own spirituality.  I did not have much language to describe the spiritual searching process, but the desire to explore goes deeper than language.  I was on a quest…still am!

So I began to want to know about the experience of people who went before me.  What was their journey like?  How did they experience the “work of the Spirit” in their hearts and on their lives?  How did their desire translate into spiritual discipline and that discipline develop depth in their spiritual lives?  How did meaning supplant misery?

It is possible to read a lot of theology or philosophy and completely avoid the monkish attraction.  But if one wants to go for experience instead of just head-knowledge, It can be said, I suppose, that all roads lead back to the Christian bible---the Old and New Testaments.  But surely one of the most important and early stops on that road is the literature of the monks---those early holy women and men. 

In the late 3rd, 4th, and 5th centuries these folks chose to be counter-cultural.  They said “no” to the Roman Empire and usually moved into the desert of Egypt or Syria---literally marginal people who were living on the boundary between civilization and chaos.  There they became students of the Spirit.

We are lucky to have significant writings from that period.  Normally, it comes as one-liners, short pithy sayings which could be memorized and passed on to newer ones who opted for counter-cultural, too.

The themes are quite basic: obedience, non-judgmental, compassion, humility, etc.  But these are tried and true.  If you or I want to become students of the Spirit, probably some of these themes will need to be incorporated in our lives.  And if they are, we, too, likely will become slightly counter-cultural.  It is difficult to be an authentic monk and a normal American!

Let’s take one saying as an example.  Poemen was one of the famous early monks.  No doubt, he was asked, “what are the works of the soul?”  He answered: “To be on guard, to meditate within, to judge with discernment: these are the three works of the soul.”

Easy, eh?  Be on guard: watch out for the temptation to be suckered into any and all things non-spiritual.  Meditate within: ruminate on the Spirit of God at work in yourself and in others.  Judge with discernment: learn to look deeply into things to know God’s desire for you…and then do that.  This all seems so true to me.

But that is because I am afflicted with a monkish attraction!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri