Skip to main content

Taking the Back Seat

I have no idea what the origins of the phrase, “taking the back seat,” might be.  We could be narrow-minded and assume it has to do with cars.  But a little thought would suggest buggies also had back seats.  One could climb into a horse and buggy mode of transportation and still land in the back seat.

Whatever the origins of this phrase, it has at least two clear implications.  First of all, you are along for the ride.  It does not matter whether it is a buggy, car, bus, or plane; you are along for the ride.  And the second implication is that you are not in control.  The reins are not in your hands.  The steering wheel is in someone else’s hands. 

Of course, those examples have to do with real rides in life.  But I also realize there are metaphorical rides in life.  Often in situations, circumstances, and relationships, I realize I am taking the back seat.  Sometimes I willingly step into the back seat.  Sometimes, I seem to be thrown into the back seat!  In either case, I am along for the ride.  And I am not in control.  And when you are in the back seat, there is usually not much concern for how you are feeling about it!

In practical terms I experience this now when one or both of my daughters come home.  Often they will take the reins.  I am on the passenger side or relegated to the back seat.  Once upon a time, this never happened.  For sixteen years, they were too young to drive.  And then for a little while, they were too deferential to assume they were driving and not me.  And now---well, it is scoot over; I’m driving!  Or they let me drive, but I know they do not approve.

With my understanding of spirituality, almost everything in life is related to the spiritual.  At its base, life is either contributing to spiritual well being or detracting from it.  So it is when life forces you into the back seat.  And sooner or later (and often!), life forces you into the back seat.  It may make some difference whether you choose to climb in the back, but the end result is the same.  You are along for the ride and you have no control.

There are negative or unfortunate things which force the in-the-back-seat move.  Things like sickness are sure bets.  Anyone with a serious case of the flu knows this.  The “back seat” in this case is the bed instead of the usual off to work.  Sometimes, aging parents or infants force us into the back seat.  Have a baby and you are along for the ride.  Babies and aging parents unmercifully steal large amounts of time when you might otherwise choose more interesting things.  Welcome to the back seat.

Sometimes it is not even for a laudable cause like babies and aging parents.  Sometimes, we are forced into the back seat just because we were not chosen; we were dismissed, or were not even considered for something.  Again we are along for the ride and not in control.

The spiritual lesson in this for me is “get used to it.”  Much of the spiritual life will be lived in the back seat.  It is an illusion to think I will always have the reins in my hands.  It is fantasy to assume I can always take the wheel of my life.  Once I was an infant and with any luck I might become an aging parent.  In both cases I would not have assumed I had the reins.  But at one level, I did…for my parents…and will…for my kids.

So one of my spiritual goals now is to settle into my back seat life.  What I want to do is make sure the reins are in the hands of God.  Oh, I know God does not really have hands.  But if God assumes the front seat and sets the direction, I am quite fine with that.  Indeed, that is a ride I want to have. 

I just thought of the biblical guideline for this: “Not my will, but Thine.”  I want to make those words real.  And try not to be a “back seat driver!” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri