Skip to main content

Seeking Soul

One of the fun things about my interest in spirituality is that I am a soul seeker!  I like that phrase, “soul seeker.”  If you are interested, too, in spirituality, then maybe you should see yourself as a soul seeker.  I don’t know all that being a soul seeker means.  But let’s assume it is one part curiosity, one part sleuth, and two parts intentionality.

I think intentionality is key to most spiritual, soulful endeavors.    By itself curiosity is interesting, but usually goes nowhere on its own.  Curiosity is a bit like a puppy.  It is fun to watch; but it is impetuous.  It darts here and there.  There is a great deal of fury, but nothing really is accomplished.  Ultimately, there is no plan, no advancing, no achieving.  These may seem like funny words for the soul seeker, but without a plan, advance, and achieving, then I do not see how one is growing at all.  But we do need one part curiosity.

And then I do believe there is a role in spirituality for being a sleuth.  I admit that I like this word.  The roots of the word go back to the Middle Ages.  It is a variation of the word, “bloodhound.”  By the 19th century it comes to mean “investigation.”  Of course, many folks think of Sherlock Holmes when we employ the word, sleuth.

In that context I hope it is clear why the soul seeker needs to be a sleuth.  I like the fact that the word, sleuth, is both a noun and a verb.  I am a sleuth.  That is the noun.  But I probably will never be a noun---sleuth---unless I “do the verb.”  To do the verb means I start sleuthing!

Sleuthing is precisely the way we go about seeking soul.  As I understand the verb, sleuth, there is no blueprint.  Not one of us is handed a guaranteed “seeking soul manual,” where we will automatically succeed in finding soul if the manual is meticulously followed. Part of me wishes that were true.  But a deeper part of me is really glad I have to be a sleuth.

Here’s the trick.  I am convinced good sleuths have a great deal of intentionality.  Intentionality is the alternative to that “seeking soul manual” which no one gets.  Intentionality is the driving force for seeking soul.  Investigating where and when we might find soul takes time---and intentionality is what pushes us on through the time needed to seek our soul.

Because I do not think there is a blueprint for seeking soul, curiosity has its role to play.  Curiosity leads us to go here, check out there, explore this, and try that---all of which brings experiences, which are the seedbed of finding soul.

I am convinced soul is not found in the abstract.  Soul is discovered in the experience---in the moment with the Spirit.  In that soulful moment we feel grounded, connected, alive, free, committed and so much more.  As we begin to use language like this, we know we are not so much soul seeking as soul finding.  This is great!

But it never lasts---at least the experience of soul finding never lasts.  Seeking soul is a bit like eating.  We can, indeed, find soul---find those soulful moments, events, and relationships.  But because we are creatures of time, they come and they go.  But that’s ok.

As a soul seeker, I mix again: one part curiosity, one part sleuth, and two parts intentionality.  There is always enough intentionality to push on…to pursue the curiosity in me and to start sleuthing in ways and places (often surprising) that will enable me to find soul again. 

I welcome this new day…another chance to seek soul!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri