Skip to main content

Citizenship

The title of this inspirational reflection is not a word I particularly like or use very often.  Basically, I like words and I understand the word, citizenship.  Not particularly liking the word does not make me anti-American.  In fact, I am very cognizant and appreciative of what it means to be an American.  I think anyone who lives abroad, as I have on multiple occasions, comes to appreciate this country and what it does for us. 
           
I gladly participate in all the things expected of being an American.  I always vote, always pay taxes, support school levies in order to help the young ones in the way I feel like I was privileged.  I support fire and police levies and more money for the library.  In this age of the internet, I don’t go to libraries like I used to, but I watch my grandkids make immense use of the library.  They love to go there, to find age-appropriate opportunities for learning and to have librarians care about their growth.  How much money is that worth?  Quite a bit, I say.
           
I had not thought much about citizenship, except occasionally when my colleague at my university mentions it when she talks about the course she is teaching.  She actually teaches a course on citizenship.  I certainly don’t oppose that, but I am glad she is the one teaching it.
           
My benign neglect of citizenship was brought up short by a recent article by David Brooks, whom I often use because of his insight.  Brooks wrote an incisive essay on paying taxes and citizenship.  In a rather artful way he uses these two ideas to portray two approaches to being an American.  Brooks says, “You can be a taxpayer or you can be a citizen.”
           
Brooks goes on to define how he sees the taxpayer.  He claims, “If you’re a taxpayer your role in the country is defined by your economic and legal status.  Your primary identity is individual.  You’re perfectly within your rights to do everything you legally can to look after your self-interest.”  I know many Americans who look at it exactly this way.  No doubt, I have taken this approach in the past.  It is difficult not to operate first from self-interest.  If Brooks had not introduced the other model, it would be tempting to say, “Yep, that’s the way it is.”
           
Brooks contrasts the taxpayer model with the citizenship model.  I was fascinated how he characterized it.  “The older citizenship mentality is a different mentality.  It starts with the warm glow of love of country.  It continues with a sense of sweet gratitude that the founders of the country, for all their flaws, were able to craft a structure of government that is suppler and more lasting than anything we seem to be able to craft today.”
           
I think Brooks is on to something.  In a sense he is positing what I would call a “community model” to contrast the “individual model” of the taxpayer.  I suddenly realize I actually prefer the language of “community” to citizenship.  But maybe it is merely semantics.  The community model actually puts the community ahead of the individual.  We trump me.  In this community model self-interest is surely present.  To deny it would be illusory.  But self-interest starts with community and then works back to what’s best for me.
           
When we put it this way, it is easy to understand why the taxpayer models appeals to so many of us.  In routine ways we generally are not ready to start with self-sacrifice.  Instead, we tacitly proclaim: let’s start with me!  The individual model begins with “me” and works toward the “we.”    It’s not illegal and, in that sense, wrong.  But it tends not to build up the community.  Brooks is blunt when he says operating with the individual model “shuts down a piece of your heart, and most of your moral sentiments.”
           
I know that I prefer the community model.  I know it asks me not to put myself first and I know that is not easy.  If I put it in old theological language, to put the community first goes against my sinful nature.  Psychologically, we often are fearful if we proceed with the community model, I won’t get what is mine---or I’ll pay a bigger price than others.  If we are driven by fear, community won’t work.
           
I have seen the community model work well in three instances: churches, teams and in a crisis.  Whether we can take it to the national and global level remains to be seen.  I hope so.  And finally, I don’t care whether we call it citizenship or community.  Labeling it is easy; living it is hard.  And we will do it together or we won’t do it at all.
           
In the end I do believe it is a spiritual issue.  It is an issue of faith, justice and love.  Again those are easy words to use, but difficult virtues from which to live and act.  But if we don’t, it is a sadder and poorer world. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri