Skip to main content

Spiritual Technology

I am enjoying my slow read through Krista Tippett’s recent book, Becoming Wise.  She writes with insight and eloquence and that is refreshing in an age where there is so much superficiality and bad thinking.  The other thing I very much like about her work is how significantly it is grounded in experience.  Even though it is a book about spirituality with a dose of religion thrown in, it is not dogmatic or doctrinaire.  To the contrary.  Instead, it is about living---as she says in the book’s subtitle, “the art of living.”
           
By now I have lived many years, but I am still trying to be an artist---an artist of my own life.  Who would not want his or her life to be a thing of beauty?  It should not be a superficial beauty.  Real beauty is deep and it is profound.  I am not sure I have approximated either of those yet.
           
Even though I have followed Tippett’s weekly interviews for the radio, I was not sure what I would get in the book.  Certainly some things are fairly predictable.  But other things surprise.  An early surprise in her book was the focus on virtue.  I have been thinking about and writing on virtue for more than a decade, so obviously I was intrigued what she would bring to me.
           
In her introductory chapter she offered the first clue to the role virtue would play in her thinking and writing.  She says, “The connective tissue of these pages is the language of virtue---an old-fashioned word, perhaps, but one that I find is magnetic to new generations, who instinctively grasp the need for practical disciplines to translate aspiration into action.”  That is a great sentence and one that resonates so well with my own experience.

More than a decade ago when my colleague and I began using the language of virtue, people surely thought we were old-fashioned.  The prevailing language of academics and the American culture since the 1980s had been the language of values.  Schools would devote time to “values clarification.”  Schools and businesses encouraged their cultures to hold close to values.  There is nothing wrong with this, but I was never altogether happy with the language of values because that language is rooted in economics.

For good reason we talk about the value of a house or the value of an education.  To use value language in the realm of morals and ethics seems out of place.  The old-fashioned language of virtues my colleague and I chose to describe classical moral issues like justice, love, etc.  And it seems this is where Tippett is going.

I believe she is correct that new generations are open to virtue language.  My experience says they don’t necessarily know or use this way of seeing and talking about life.  But they “get it” very quickly when they see how it works to describe their reality.  Further, Tippett is clever to hook up the language of virtue with the need for practical disciplines.  This is a big piece missing in so many lives today.

It is easy to see conversations about meaning in life and ethical action as hypothetical or theoretical.  For example, students don’t always see the connection between who I am and what I do---with identity and action.  I think action betrays true identity, regardless of who I say I am.  That is why ethics is called character---or lack of it!

And then, I like how Tippett links practical discipline with the process of translating aspiration into action.  Countless times I have followed Aristotle who says finally virtue is virtue when it becomes an action.  Until you love, love is only an idea.  This leads me to the other sentence I want to share from Tippett’s book.

She confesses, “I’ve come to think of virtues and rituals as spiritual technologies for being our best selves in flesh and blood, time and space.”  Again, this is a powerful sentence.  I admit I never thought about the virtues as technologies.  I never thought about spiritual technologies.  I think about technology to be rooted in skill or ability.  For example, to use the computer is to avail yourself of technology to do amazing things that are not otherwise possible.  Maybe the virtues do the same thing for creating and developing our best selves.

I’m convinced she is correct.  If someone were to ask me “how do I develop my best self?” that would be a tough question to answer.  Now with her take on it, I have a good answer.  Be virtuous.  Let the virtues be your technology to transform your aspiration (to be your best self) into action (a person with high character).  It’s simple, but maybe not easy.

I will still probably think about spirituality as more of an art than science.  But I will begin thinking about spiritual disciplines as technologies---skills you can learn to practice in a disciplined way to become your best self.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri