Skip to main content

Present and Future

An unlikely source of spiritual inspiration, we might assume, would be alumni magazines.  My immediate family of four has access to quite a few of them, since the four of us hold multiple degrees from various institutions of higher education.  The range is from smaller, college-related institutions to larger public research institutions.  Of course, there is a great deal of commonality to these magazines.  And there also are significant particularities because no institution is just like another.

I was reading a recent edition of a magazine and landed on the column written by the president.  I am sure it was the title that caught my attention: “An Invincible Spirit.”  I like Harvard’s President, Drew Faust, although I have never met her.  By training she is an historian.  So I was not too surprised to find the article made use of some history.  But the content was a surprise.

The article gave considerable attention to Harvard’s decision to reinstate ROTC.  Harvard had discontinued ROTC in those tumultuous Vietnam years.  I remember those years and the protests that accompanied them.  On so many campuses ROTC was a lightening rod for anti-war protests.  What I did not know is ROTC had begun on the country’s oldest college in 1916 as the US prepared for the possibility of entering WW I.  So nearly a century later, ROTC was to be reinstated.

I am not that interested in Harvard’s action.  I have no knowledge to have an opinion.  As a Quaker, I am a pacifist.  However, I do respect the men and women who serve in the military.  Even a pacifist has to agree we live in a world with too many problems and with too much violence.  How this is addressed and peace brought to our lives is a complex, crucial issue.

President Faust talked about walking around campus, visiting various buildings with the names of Harvard alums who had given their lives in defense of this country.  She singles out one name, Charles Russell Lowell, 1854 class valedictorian, who served and died in the bloody Civil War.  She cites his words, offered a decade before his service and sacrifice for the country.  Those were the words that I found inspiring.

Faust says that Lowell encourages his classmates “both to consider what should be and to imagine what can be.”  He continued with this amazing thought: “This uneasiness with the present married with an eagerness to shape the future” is the key attitude.  Realizing that I am lifting these ideas out of the discussion about ROTC, they do seem to me to offer a good way of seeing the role of the spiritual in our individual lives and in the peace-making life of communities and, perhaps, countries.

The first thing to note---and this is very obvious---is we only live in the present.  I can only have today.  Yesterday is gone and tomorrow is not yet.  But it is also true that humans have the capacity to know time in many dimensions.  Even though I am living today, I can remember yesterday, I can know what I did and, even, what I regret not doing.  In the same way I can anticipate tomorrow.  Having this capacity with time is a blessing of being human.

Because we don’t live in a perfect world, all of us can understand life in the same way Lowell talked about it in his first sentence.  We are able to consider what should be.  And more importantly, we are able to imagine what can be.  Notice the two different verbs used in that articulation.  We are able to “consider.”  This means in the present I am able to consider---to think about and ponder---what should be.  We should be good; we should be loving.

And we are able to “imagine” what can be.  This is a future state.  I imagine tomorrow; yesterday is gone.  But without imagination tomorrow will be like today---or perhaps, worse!  This is where the second thought of Lowell impacts me.  I like that Lowell talks about the uneasiness with the present.  That does not mean the present is awful; clearly, there are some good things going on.  But the big picture does make me uneasy.

I am concerned with climate change.  I am concerned about terrorists---people who make meaning in life so radically different than people I know.  Terrorists thrive on violence; there is no future there.  So I am uneasy with the present.  But I am also eager to shape the future.  That is crucial to me.  I have grandkids who likely will live to see 2100!  We have to shape a future that is going to great possibilities.

The good news is this is exactly what I think God desires, too.  God desires to shape the future so there is peace and love, instead of violence and hate.  God desires people of all religious traditions---and no traditions---to learn to love and to create communities of mutual care.  If we don’t do that, we have chaos and communal destruction.  It’s a spiritual work we have to do: create a future befitting a kingdom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri