Skip to main content

Beach Buddha

We all have heard the saying, “a picture is worth a thousand words.”  Most of the time when I hear that, I don’t even think about it.  It is so commonplace that it really does not pack the punch it originally must have done.  It feels worn out.  But I am in the middle of an experience that is making that old saying seem real.  I received a picture.

When I received the picture in an email, I immediately recognized the figure.  It was my little granddaughter sitting in the water.  They have been on vacation at the ocean.  So I knew the scene, although I have never been to that particular place.  She is sitting by herself in the water just off the shore.  The waves are gently coming toward her as you see more coming in the background.

I have basically a side-view look at her.  I can see her face, but not into face.  Her hair is pulled back into a ponytail, so her full face is exposed.  She sits with her legs apart and her arms dangling down between her legs with her hands in the water next to her feet also planted in the water.

It is a bright, cloudless day.  The picture suggests there is not another soul to be seen.  I am sure her mom is close by, but the picture itself suggests pure solitude.  She is by herself with her gaze outward toward the ocean.  She looks very serene.  However, when I say that, I know I am beginning to interpret rather than merely describing what I see.  When we interpret, we overlay our own framework on the picture.  But having begun that, let me take it further.

Let’s imagine my interpretation is indeed a framework for the picture of my granddaughter sitting serenely in the ocean’s water.  The picture I am going to draw is a spiritual picture.  In that picture she is the epitome of a spiritual self.  The picture is going to become a thousand words for my spiritual edification.  At the end I will ask, if she can do it, why can’t I?

I am going to give the picture a title: Beach Buddha.  I don’t know why I called it that; it essentially came to me.  But I am sure one reason it came to me that way is her posture.  She sits rather upright there in the ocean water.  But she is not uptight.  She looks very relaxed.  She reminds me of pictures of the Buddha postured meditatively.  That is the origin of the title.

I have seen Christian monks and lay folk alike in similar meditative poses.  So it is not solely a Buddhist thing.  The bottom line is that meditative pose and gaze.  She sits motionless, but with a soul in motion.  The soul is stirred by the presence of the water and the call of nature to union in the moment.  I can see just enough of her face to discern a smile.  Laughter would be too much---too raucous for that scene.

She is very centered.  Paradoxically, she seems quite centered in herself and yet participating in centeredness with the cosmic nature surrounding her.  She is deep within and far out!  These contrasts with much of my life, which is lived too much at the surface---shallow at best.  Maybe it is because I live all of my life on land where it is much more difficult to get into than the water where she sits.

Land keeps us on top of it.  Oceans invite us to step into it and be in it.  Maybe that is why oceans are a good metaphor for God.  I recall the wonderful image that George Fox, founding person of my own Quaker gang, used.  He talks about the “ocean of light and love.”  That is a good description of the place and space my granddaughter inhabits.  She is in the ocean of light and love.

Of course, I have gone wildly beyond any sure knowledge of would have of the real situation.  I know nothing more than having received the picture with no commentary.  But to me the picture has become an icon.  Icon is the Greek word for image, which comes from the Latin, imago.  So the icon is an image---a picture.  But an icon is more than that.  An icon is meant to draw you into the picture or painting and, then, beyond the image to the very Reality behind, beneath and above the image.

The icon invites us in---but deeper into the Reality which makes all things possible.  For me that is God---the Holy One.  The icon of my daughter says to me, “come on in; you too can enter the presence in which I am.”  She tells me, in effect, to sit down, relax and begin meditatively to leave the superficialities and idolatries of my life.  Get it straight and get real.  No doubt, this is why Jesus talks about children when he wanted to describe the Kingdom.

Clearly, I am too old, too gnawed by life’s experience, to do it the way she does it.  But she assures me I can do it.  She has become one with her world---and I assume that means in her own way, one with God.  It is what contemplatives call a unitive experience.  I am confident I can learn to live this way, too.

I am not jealous.  I am grateful.  Little kids can become our teachers.  In this case I happen to know my teacher!  I am grateful for this icon to show me the way---to invite me into fullness of life God intended.  That’s my Beach Buddha!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri