Skip to main content

Queen for a Day

In the mid 1950s there was a radio and tv show called “Queen for a Day.”  I don’t remember too much about it, but do recall the basic thrust.  It was part of that era’s fascination with game shows.  Often there was a pot of money or some other big prize to win.  That show usually had mostly women contestants and, I suspect, a bigger female audience.

The host of the show would begin by asking, “would you like to be queen for a day?”  Of course, the answer would be affirmative.  And then the host would interview the various contestants and at the end of the show the audience would vote one of them to be queen for a day.  I don’t recall many details. But it often was true the stories of the women contestants were sad and touching.

This reminds me of another show at the same time period, namely, The Millionaire.  In this show unsuspecting people were give a million dollars (a huge sum in 1950s currency) and see how a fortune changed lives for better or for worse.  That show had an amazing impact on how people often would express their desire for instant wealth.  Perhaps our contemporary culture’s fascination with the lottery is comparable.

It is funny and sad to see people live with what I would call an “if only…” mentality.  This perspective is not limited to wistful longings to be on a tv show and be the winner or suddenly to have someone drop out of the sky and hand us a million bucks.  We can see this mentality present in people’s lives in ordinary and extraordinary ways.  I have seen it when someone is diagnosed with lung cancer and laments, “if only I had not smoked.”  It is not unusual to hear a student’s cry, “if only I had studied a little…”

As a kid, I remember people asking each other, “so if you were queen (king) for a day, what would you do?”  We see versions of that in our own day around the lottery.  Or sometimes we see it when a high school or college super-athlete gets a huge signing bonus---becoming instant millionaires.  It is not unusual that they go buy a really fancy, expensive car.  They choose a status symbol like that which is an attempt to say, “look at me; I am somebody!”

I see these kinds of shows and, even, the appeal of the lottery as a way of inducing us to dream of a life different from the one we currently have.  Too many folks I know spend time wanting to be someone else.  In effect, they are saying, “if only…”  I certainly understand the appeal of fantasy.  Who would not want a perfect life?  Maybe money or fame would bring us closer.  But I doubt it.

I doubt it because fantasy is never real.  Fantasy is make-believe.  I understand it as entertainment, but when it is mistaken for reality or for hope, trouble looms.  Fantasy does not work because basically it is an escape.  Rather than being reality, fantasy is an escape from reality.  It is interesting the show only offered a chance to be queen for a day!  Why not a week, a year or the rest of my life?  To be queen for a day and then return to reality only seems disruptive to me.

Beneath all this I see a spiritual issue.  Spirituality is always a reality-based undertaking.  Let’s compare being queen for a day and the opportunity to be spiritual for a lifetime.  They both offer riches.  But they are very different kinds of riches.  Typically, to be queen for a day offers some kind of financial reward.  Spirituality offers the treasure of deep meaning and purpose.  One is a resource that will be spent down and the other is a resource that can never be exhausted.  In fact, like love the spiritual resource only increases.  Spiritually, the rich do get richer!

Being queen for a day almost never transforms your life.  You are still the same person, but with money or a new car.  Being spiritual should not only change you, but also transform you into a better and bolder person.  Instead of queen for a day, you become a child of God for a lifetime.  Spirituality is a long-term investment with a huge upside and an optimistic outcome---regardless of the process that we may have to go through.

Finally, a big difference between being queen for a day and being spiritual is who wins.  On the tv show there was only one winner.  The rest of the folks were audience---were being entertained.  They spend a half hour of their day watching someone else get rich!  And their lives never changed and no transformation happened.  Becoming spiritual, however, offers everyone a chance to be a winner.  In fact, spirituality is not a spectator sport.  It is not entertaining.  And it’s not a game.  It is real and for real.

I don’t mind watching some tv.  But I don’t want to be queen for a day.  I am trying to be spiritual instead.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri